Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat bed trim plastic pieces(3D printing?)

• 1 month later...

I have access to CAD program, Solidworks. I have modeled some plastic parts, and had prototypes printed for work. They are better now than even a few years ago. Nicer finish costs more. Better stronger plastic costs more. Still have to hand sand and that sort of thing to get things to look like they were injection molded.

ihscout54 wondered if Bantum was a member …

Yep I'm one & the same ... :ph34r:

I'm still working on the scanner atm, will post up the results as soon as I can get it working ... :)

Meanwhile here are some other bits :

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1065522

Subaru_Brumby_Badge_preview_featured.jpg

More here :

http://www.thingiverse.com/Bantum_Works/collections/subaru-bits-

P.S. - I'm only copying them in 3D - you'll still have to find a 3D printer ... ;)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Edited by Bantum

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 3D printer and I am somewhat certified in solid works. I can probably see what I can do for this thread. 

Plate%203.jpg

I have made some models of car parts before. 

MPI%20Intake%204%20runners%20jpg.jpg

That was for a Starion i have. I am sure I can try and work on some of these clips.

• 2 weeks later...

Good call. I have a good one, I'll get measurements off of this and reverse it for the opposite side.

I'll go by the dealership tomorrow and get part #s and pictures of the pieces (maybe even locate a set) so that we can get this rolling. I'm thinking we'll want to cast these in resin vs 3D printing as I don't want these to split when a screw is put to them or crack when they are snapped into place.

If I can't find the clips I might be sending out a call to action for folks to send me old clips so we can take measurements, they would all be returned.

Stand by...

Edited by tundrabrat

Subaruparts.com does have them in stock.

If you print in nylon they should be as durable as the originals, I have been doing some prints with nylon and it is the best and worst material which is how it goes with 3D printing. PLA is easiest to stick, but weakest, ABS harder to stick but better parts, and nylon is a nightmare to stick but you get a superior end result. I have been printing onto a sheet of 1/4 nylon clamped to the bed.

Alright folks, I went by the dealership for a little recon (and visit the BRAT) the other day and have some good news...

64F9DD0D-09ED-4E41-933B-1D4FAA6532BB_zps

1.) They have the original parts manual for the BRAT (which I will be digitizing).

2.). The parts in question are all "currently" available, all be it a bit pricey ($3-8 each?!?)

3.). I ordered at least one of each clip needed and will be scanning to see about reproducing so we can get the cost down.

Here is the trim clip page with part numbers for your ordering enjoyment if you want the originals.

F9D425D1-FF4F-4DD1-96B1-6991750183B4_zps

Stay tuned...

Edited by tundrabrat
  • Like 1

Subaruparts.com

Part Number 791017200 Part Name CLIP MSRP $1.06

Part Number 791017130 Part Name SCREW GROMMET MSRP $1.70

Also, I don't think those are 30 years old, there is no yellowing and they are fresh and flexible instead of brittle. I can't imagine Subaru doing a production run of these so they must be sourced from some other use but I can't imagine what.

Edited by subarubrat

• 2 weeks later...