Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Gen Caravan to WCSS?

Is anyone interested in caravanning to WCSS?  I kind of had this vision of a big long line of Old Gens pulling into the grounds kind of like this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ls0grW7LmiU

We have folks coming  from Eastern Wa, ID and MT and could gradually meet up along I-90 then down I-5 the rest could meet up as we head south.  I did this once with a boating group and it is quite a sight especially when you pull into the rest stops. We all had FRS radios along the way. 

What do you all think?

Edited by MR_Loyale

We had a similar cararvan from Portland to Cashmere a few years ago for WCSS 11(?)

It was pretty cool, alot of the rigs were lifted too.

Anybody want to try and arrange a northbound caravan up I-5 for those of us coming from south of portland?

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 1

Could we get a caravan started back further east? like Ohio? I'd love to caravan with some Soobs and I80 runs just north of me.. East coast/Midwest group!

Absolutely. That would be extra cool. You'd obviously have to leave a day or two earlier depending on how aggressively you want to drive. Do you have an idea of others that might want to join your midwest caravan?

Absolutely. That would be extra cool. You'd obviously have to leave a day or two earlier depending on how aggressively you want to drive. Do you have an idea of others that might want to join your midwest caravan?

Honestly, Not super-hardcore truckin', but no loligagging... And I've seen 1 other Older Soob in all of NEOhio, but I've got a buddy that is into the BD/BG Legacies that might want to go.. IDK if he'd want to X-country his though.. lol but if anyone else is passing through or has a group started (i.e. Chicago, I know a few 9-2x guys over there) more than welcome to join/combine..

I'd like to join in the caravan, but I'd probably not be the best candidate. For one, I have no means of communicating (I don't have a CB radio, nor any other radio). There'd be no way for me to know if we're pulling into a rest stop or whatnot. I don't have any plans on purchasing a radio between now and then.

And two, I'm strict on laws. I don't speed, I stop at all stop signs, etc. I've found that because of this, I easily fall behind the group. Especially in groups, people like to speed. I don't want to slow down the group, but I also don't want to risk my driving record and insurance costs (which are already astronomically high). I'll probably also be taking my Harbor Freight trailer. It only has 8" wheels on it, so I don't go more than 60 MPH whilst towing it. The speed limit on I-5 is 70, so even if the group goes the speed limit, I'll still be going slower.

I'll probably be riding solo. Gives me time to think, listen to music, listen to my engine, and just appreciate my car for making the long trip (I haven't taken a trip this far in my Loyale before). I'm sure I'll see you guys on the road though!

Edited by jj421

I'd like to join in the caravan, but I'd probably not be the best candidate. For one, I have no means of communicating (I don't have a CB radio, nor any other radio). There'd be no way for me to know if we're pulling into a rest stop or whatnot. I don't have any plans on purchasing a radio between now and then.

And two, I'm strict on laws. I don't speed, I stop at all stop signs, etc. I've found that because of this, I easily fall behind the group. Especially in groups, people like to speed. I don't want to slow down the group, but I also don't want to risk my driving record and insurance costs (which are already astronomically high). I'll probably also be taking my Harbor Freight trailer. It only has 8" wheels on it, so I don't go more than 60 MPH whilst towing it. The speed limit on I-5 is 70, so even if the group goes the speed limit, I'll still be going slower.

I'll probably be riding solo. Gives me time to think, listen to music, listen to my engine, and just appreciate my car for making the long trip (I haven't taken a trip this far in my Loyale before). I'm sure I'll see you guys on the road though!

Speeding? I think you have us confused with the WRX ricer caravan lol. I'd be very surprised to hear of any Loyale with an automatic ever accused of speeding.  :lol:

I have been in caravans of boat owners going down I -5 then along the Oregon 84 with everything from a 16 foot boat up to a 32 foot crusier (yes on a trailer). Didn't have any of those issues you mention. Not sure what types of caravans you have been participating in.  I obey all traffic laws and if anyone has any ideas of weaving in and out of traffic on the interstate pretending to be Lightning McQueen, I'd rather they not participate.

As for the radios, they aren't CB radios. They are called FRS radios and are about a step up from Radio Shack walkie talkies kids play with. Nothing too complicated, no installation or license required. Usually you can get a pair for about 35 bucks. I have some extra ones I wouldn't mind loaning to anyone who cannot afford them.  Almost everyone has a cell phone these days, we contact them at the rendezvous point by cell, then when they arrive they can borrow an frs radio.

Most folks who choose not to participate won't hop on the thread and attribute things like speeding and breaking traffics laws to others they don't even know. They would simply decline to post a message.  If you are shy kid or whatever that is fine. Did you ever consider it might be nice to have others around in case of breakdown?  Folks that actually might have a clue about Subaru EA82 engines other than the local yokel shop who's answer to everything is a bigger hammer?  An adult with a AAA gold membership with an 80 mile towing range? Anyways, you are a kid so I am sure you meant no disrespect as your life experience is so little. I hope you make it down there safely and enjoy the show. :)

Edited by MR_Loyale
  • Like 2

depending on where I come into OR I might be into joining your convoy.  I can't really judge when I will be getting there since I am 42 hours away.  But hey if I see you guys I'll wave and drop in line somewhere

What day are you planning to arrive? Just because folks are coming from the south as well doesn't mean we can't all rendezvous some place. I kinda hoped the Old Gen folks would be camping in the same general area.

Honestly, Not super-hardcore truckin', but no loligagging... And I've seen 1 other Older Soob in all of NEOhio, but I've got a buddy that is into the BD/BG Legacies that might want to go.. IDK if he'd want to X-country his though.. lol but if anyone else is passing through or has a group started (i.e. Chicago, I know a few 9-2x guys over there) more than welcome to join/combine..

You can also have folks ride along with you too. Not everyone needs to be a single occupant driver. It helps spread the fuel cost out, makes for relief drivers and an extra hand if roadside repairs become necessary.

Speeding? I think you have us confused with the WRX ricer caravan lol. I'd be very surprised to hear of any Loyale with an automatic ever accused of speeding.  :lol:

I have been in caravans of boat owners going down I -5 then along the Oregon 84 with everything from a 16 foot boat up to a 32 foot crusier (yes on a trailer). Didn't have any of those issues you mention. Not sure what types of caravans you have been participating in.  I obey all traffic laws and if anyone has any ideas of weaving in and out of traffic on the interstate pretending to be Lightning McQueen, I'd rather they not participate.

As for the radios, they aren't CB radios. They are called FRS radios and are about a step up from Radio Shack walkie talkies kids play with. Nothing too complicated, no installation or license required. Usually you can get a pair for about 35 bucks. I have some extra ones I wouldn't mind loaning to anyone who cannot afford them.  Almost everyone has a cell phone these days, we contact them at the rendezvous point by cell, then when they arrive they can borrow an frs radio.

Most folks who choose not to participate won't hop on the thread and attribute things like speeding and breaking traffics laws to others they don't even know. They would simply decline to post a message.  If you are shy kid or whatever that is fine. Did you ever consider it might be nice to have others around in case of breakdown?  Folks that actually might have a clue about Subaru EA82 engines other than the local yokel shop who's answer to everything is a bigger hammer?  An adult with a AAA gold membership with an 80 mile towing range? Anyways, you are a kid so I am sure you meant no disrespect as your life experience is so little. I hope you make it down there safely and enjoy the show. :)

Of course I meant no disrespect. I'd like to join if possible, which is why I posted. I was just stating my concerns.

Haha, EA82s are indeed the least likely cars to be accused of speeding, especially with an auto. But last December at the Christmas tree run, we were doing about 70-75 in a 60 (speed limit might've been lower; I can't remember). Maybe that was just a one-time thing, and I'm willing to give it another shot. I meant to put it in my previous post, but there are exceptions. Not everyone speeds. Just a good majority of people do. In a group, if the leader is driving fast, everyone else will be forced to drive fast to keep up. It mostly depends on who is "leading."

I might consider purchasing a radio if I join, but if anything, I'd rather borrow one. I don't think I'd use a radio elsewhere, so it probably wouldn't be worth spending on it, especially since I've got a bunch of other things to buy. And when you're working at a little over minimum wage, $35 is kinda a big deal.  :unsure:

Folks that actually might have a clue about Subaru EA82 engines other than the local yokel shop who's answer to everything is a bigger hammer?

I assume you mean no disrespect saying that.  :) That last thing I'd ever do, ever, is take my car to a shop. I've done all the work myself, have probably put $2000 into my Loyale (over the past year), and the only time I brought my car to a shop is for them to mount & balance my winter tyres. I always carry my tools with me, and I have no problem doing repairs on the side of the road. If something happened, I'd feel fairly confident I could diagnose and fix the problem by myself.

It'd be nice travelling with people because I don't usually carry many parts with me. So I could use a ride to an auto parts store if something happened. As far as towing, I've got unlimited free towing with Allstate, so I have no worries about that. Have been towed twice. First time was before I carried my tools with me, and second time was because parts were dealership-only and took about a week to get to me.

I guess I could be considered shy, but I'd enjoy going with a group of people. However, I'm still not even 100% sure I'm going to WCSS. I haven't registered yet, for fear that something might come up between now and then. I've already requested the days off of work, but I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I fully commit to going.

Edited by jj421

What day are you planning to arrive? Just because folks are coming from the south as well doesn't mean we can't all rendezvous some place. I kinda hoped the Old Gen folks would be camping in the same general area.

I want to roll into Portland on Friday before lunch time.  I need to find a place to service my car.

Of course I meant no disrespect. I'd like to join if possible, which is why I posted. I was just stating my concerns.

Haha, EA82s are indeed the least likely cars to be accused of speeding, especially with an auto. But last December at the Christmas tree run, we were doing about 70-75 in a 60 (speed limit might've been lower; I can't remember). Maybe that was just a one-time thing, and I'm willing to give it another shot. I meant to put it in my previous post, but there are exceptions. Not everyone speeds. Just a good majority of people do. In a group, if the leader is driving fast, everyone else will be forced to drive fast to keep up. It mostly depends on who is "leading."

I might consider purchasing a radio if I join, but if anything, I'd rather borrow one. I don't think I'd use a radio elsewhere, so it probably wouldn't be worth spending on it, especially since I've got a bunch of other things to buy. And when you're working at a little over minimum wage, $35 is kinda a big deal.  :unsure:

I assume you mean no disrespect saying that.  :) That last thing I'd ever do, ever, is take my car to a shop. I've done all the work myself, have probably put $2000 into my Loyale (over the past year), and the only time I brought my car to a shop is for them to mount & balance my winter tyres. I always carry my tools with me, and I have no problem doing repairs on the side of the road. If something happened, I'd feel fairly confident I could diagnose and fix the problem by myself.

It'd be nice travelling with people because I don't usually carry many parts with me. So I could use a ride to an auto parts store if something happened. As far as towing, I've got unlimited free towing with Allstate, so I have no worries about that. Have been towed twice. First time was before I carried my tools with me, and second time was because parts were dealership-only and took about a week to get to me.

I guess I could be considered shy, but I'd enjoy going with a group of people. However, I'm still not even 100% sure I'm going to WCSS. I haven't registered yet, for fear that something might come up between now and then. I've already requested the days off of work, but I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I fully commit to going.

Well unless there is a coup and since I suggested this caravan I suppose, unless others object, I will be "leading".  I use that term loosely because when you get a group of people together like this there is no guarantee, beyond a gentlemen's agreement, that people will behave or even show up on time. Something like this, if we are having lots of folks from all over join, requires lots of coordination.

Just because others are speeding doesn't mean everyone has to, I certainly won't be speeding.  I will have the day off and intend to enjoy the drive and relax. I could get there in the afternoon or later and that is fine as long as we all get there safely. In fact, a few stops along the way are planned at rest stops and such so folks can check their cars periodically, stretch their legs, walk their poverbial dog that every Subaru owner is supposed to own (according to the latest Subaru ads they even sell cars directly to the dogs). I have a cat. Go figure. She will be staying home.

And I know how it can be working min wage. Did that years ago myself.  Bosses could care less about your personal life or even if you broke a leg, only will you be in for work.  The offer to borrow a radio is still open. All I ask is that you don't call me up Thursday night right before the trip asking for one.  I am willing and can afford to purchase a set or two but I do need advance notice. I also work with a guy who lives in Samammish, so I could send it home with him to be picked up. Sounds like you are well versed in repairing EA82's and would be helpful if anyone else broke down. I didn't mean insult by implying a shop, just so you know.  Not all of us are McGyvers when it comes to car repair, least of all myself though I am learning. After some shop horror stories I can tell, I may become like that too. Besides the knowledge to repair these older cars is going away from your average shop. Allstate will tow you from Longview to Samammish free?? WOW.

I only had to be towed once in 20 years of owning the car and that was because I didn't tighten the crank shaft bolt enough when I did the timing belts in 2008 and it came loose after a trip from Spokane to Bremerton. I didn't have any tools with me at the  time. But it was never because the car failed me  That is why I love these cars. Always start and generally very reliable. But as it gets older it just makes sense to have decent towing for any car.

Anyway I hope you can make it down there. If not with us, then just stop by and say hello.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Well unless there is a coup and since I suggested this caravan I suppose, unless others object, I will be "leading".  I use that term loosely because when you get a group of people together like this there is no guarantee, beyond a gentlemen's agreement, that people will behave or even show up on time. Something like this, if we are having lots of folks from all over join, requires lots of coordination.

Just because others are speeding doesn't mean everyone has to, I certainly won't be speeding.  I will have the day off and intend to enjoy the drive and relax. I could get there in the afternoon or later and that is fine as long as we all get there safely. In fact, a few stops along the way are planned at rest stops and such so folks can check their cars periodically, stretch their legs, walk their poverbial dog that every Subaru owner is supposed to own (according to the latest Subaru ads they even sell cars directly to the dogs). I have a cat. Go figure. She will be staying home.

And I know how it can be working min wage. Did that years ago myself.  Bosses could care less about your personal life or even if you broke a leg, only will you be in for work.  The offer to borrow a radio is still open. All I ask is that you don't call me up Thursday night right before the trip asking for one.  I am willing and can afford to purchase a set or two but I do need advance notice. I also work with a guy who lives in Samammish, so I could send it home with him to be picked up. Sounds like you are well versed in repairing EA82's and would be helpful if anyone else broke down. I didn't mean insult by implying a shop, just so you know.  Not all of us are McGyvers when it comes to car repair, least of all myself though I am learning. After some shop horror stories I can tell, I may become like that too. Besides the knowledge to repair these older cars is going away from your average shop. Allstate will tow you from Longview to Samammish free?? WOW.

I only had to be towed once in 20 years of owning the car and that was because I didn't tighten the crank shaft bolt enough when I did the timing belts in 2008 and it came loose after a trip from Spokane to Bremerton. I didn't have any tools with me at the  time. But it was never because the car failed me  That is why I love these cars. Always start and generally very reliable. But as it gets older it just makes sense to have decent towing for any car.

Anyway I hope you can make it down there. If not with us, then just stop by and say hello.

Yeah, that's the problem with "leaders." Especially on a long trip, someone is bound to go in front and "take over." But of all the groups out there, Subie owners are the most well-behaved, I think.

But if everyone goes at their own pace, the group isn't gonna stay together for long, haha. I guess you just gotta play it by ear. If I come with you guys, I'm just saying now that I will not be going faster than 60 MPH (again, because of my trailer). If that means falling behind, then I'll fall behind.

Haha, I have two dogs, a cat, and a fish. I'm only gonna bring my fish.  ;) Haha, nah, but I'm not bringing any pets. Just gonna be my car and I. I don't think I'm bringing any passengers, but that might change last minute (like it did with the Big NW Subaru Meet).

The more I think about it, yeah, I'll need to borrow a radio. I gotta get new tabs for my plates, get my trailer registered, pay my car insurance, and go to court & get my studded tyre infraction paid off (although the court date might not be set until after the show). Ehh, I digress, but I'm not gonna have the money to buy a radio. I'll certainly let you know if I'm going to WCSS within two weeks, probably, so it won't be last minute.

Haha, I know you didn't mean to insult with the shop thing. Just because I'm a teenager doesn't mean I let someone else take care of my car.  :P Haha, the real truth would be that I don't want some mechanic to burn my new clutch, the one I spent a fair bit of time and money putting in myself. I don't let anyone drive my Loyale.  :) I'd say "well versed" could be a bit optimistic, seeing as with every new problem, I need to learn something. I'm certainly no EA82 expert, especially compared to most of the people on here.

Towing from Longview to Sammamish, probably not. I guess unlimited means unlimited tows per year. I'm actually not sure what the mileage is like, but it's definitely >15 miles. But if I break down in Longview, I can get a tow to an auto parts store and fix it in their parking lot. 

The two times I have been towed were kinda my fault. First time was a long time ago. I was getting on the freeway and the on ramp was a right turn. As I accelerated out, I noticed white smoke behind me. It was the first time it happened, so I pulled over. As I looked at my engine, my v-belt was missing a chunk from it. It wasn't torn, but I didn't feel comfortable driving on the freeway for a few minutes at ~3000 RPM with a damaged belt. So I called for a tow.

The best part of that story was the tow truck. It was an older truck, and as he was lowering my car into my driveway, the truck's hydraulics blew up. Spilled hydro fluid all over the road, which caused two firetrucks and some police to come out. I was sitting there directing traffic for a few hours until the police took over. Then a repair man from the tow company came out and fixed the tow truck. All of that for a <$10 belt.  :brow: The white smoke was later fixed by a new PCV valve, of course. I feel like sharing a couple of pictures because of the irony of the situation.  :unsure:

28d3d77d-9d6a-49c5-a740-7d493b5a7706_zps

73c57742-5b78-4dd7-9449-5d924dd9b526_zps

Second time was because I let my faulty cone washer(s) strip my driver side hub. The dealership messed up on shipping the parts, twice. So I didn't get new cone washers for about five days. But hey, I got 25% off from it.  :) Took another couple days to get the time to drive to the junkyard for a new hub.

ANYWAYS

I don't want this to get too off topic. Bottom line: I wanna join in this caravan if I can.  :)

I live about 1hr north of Longview and 5min off of I-5.

If anyone has problems within a reasonable distance to me, I will help or they can stop by my place to make repairs.

The only thing I dont have in my shop is a lift, but I have ramps, jacks, etc.

Not to mention a TON of EA/EJ/EG parts.

I will be at WCSS, but only for Sat.

I live about 1hr north of Longview and 5min off of I-5.

If anyone has problems within a reasonable distance to me, I will help or they can stop by my place to make repairs.

The only thing I dont have in my shop is a lift, but I have ramps, jacks, etc.

Not to mention a TON of EA/EJ/EG parts.

I will be at WCSS, but only for Sat.

So you must be around Olympia?

Ok so for everyone in the Seattle Bremerton Tacoma Olympia area and the folks coming from the East, we will be meeting up at the Tacoma Mall parking lot if no one objects. Timing is still being figured out to allow those coming from the East to join up.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Not to Hi-jack, but I want to try to oranize the same thing for the drivers coming from the south (AZ,NV,CA, and anyone traveling north along I-5)

I was hoping to coordinate a time on Friday for people to meet either in Albany OR, or just north of it at a very nice rest area with river access and a cool little rock beach area for a photo op and some lunch for those that have been on the road a ways.

Anyone? It will for sure be me and a few other cars from my immediate area, but anyone coming from Eugene? Roseburg? Bend guys coming over hwy 20?

PM me, if there is enough interest I will start a southern caravan thread.

Tacoma Mall, go it. And yeah, I'd have to leave like Tuesday.... Google Maps says 37 hours drive time. Plus, I'd have to sleep at least several hours to rest... maybe. (Once did Cleveland, OH to Key West, FL without sleeping.. 26 hours.. man that was nuts.)

But so far, only one other from the East? subeman90?

Tacoma Mall, go it. And yeah, I'd have to leave like Tuesday.... Google Maps says 37 hours drive time. Plus, I'd have to sleep at least several hours to rest... maybe. (Once did Cleveland, OH to Key West, FL without sleeping.. 26 hours.. man that was nuts.)

Please don't drive sleep deprived. Leave extra time in case of unexpected events

I'm leaving at 3pm on tuesday from work.  I am going by way of Denver which is only adding 50 min to my trip believe it or not...