Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to leave from a dig...with an STI

I drove a 95 mustang cobra for 13 years and Now with my friends influence I just bought a 2012 STI and well Im having a hard time leaving the line...it just bucks then takes off...any tips would be aprreciated...it has so many different options with locking the wheels and sport mode...I just cant figure out what combination to use when racing.  I have been a mustang guy and I came on here because I know nothing about subarus so I am trying to learn...any help would be appreciated.

post-48919-0-25357000-1375573154_thumb.jpg

That might be something you have to test out. Is your car completely stock? You will find that if you're not launching at a high enough RPM then it will still bog down a bit. But if you do it right it will take off screaming and have you shifting pretty quickly. But yeah, if you turn the dial to full lock, and dump the clutch, it might spin slightly, but it will mostly just throw you back in the seat and GO! And the 6spd and R180 take it very well! For even better launching, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade your bushings to take some of the driveline slop out of it.

car is completely stock 2012 with 8000 miles... i'll try to leave at like 3000 and adjust from there...Ill report back when I get a good combination....also should I take traction control off when I do this or leave it on?

Not positive, but doesn't the traction control limit the amount of throttle? I would think you should turn it off. It won't spin a ton anyway with it on full diff lock.

Welcome aboard!

IANACT (I am not a clutch torturer), and have only driven an STI a handful of times. I would imagine you're gonna have to get the rev's up there, maybe closer to 5k and then dump it. Or maybe mash the throttle and quickly slip the clutch at the same time from 3-4k.

Let us know what you get to work. Those summer tires are pretty grippy if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Launching an AWD turbo car is a skill, to say the least. And it has been covered many times over the years in many different formats. I did a few searches, and didn't come up with much, so I'll give a basic overview here. I think there was an excellent article in one of the old Subiesport magazines....I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.

Fastest way off the line on pavement in an AWD turbo car involves letting the clutch slip a bit. You need to keep the rpms up enough so that you can continue to build boost. If you let the clutch out too quickly, the rpms will drop too much, and the turbo will not be able to spool (I suspect what you are feeling now).

There are ways around that. Launch control/antilag will help build boost without any load on the engine (this can be tuned into the stock ECU on older cars....I would imagine it can on the newer ones too). This is what you're seeing when you see a built AWD drag car, or Global Rallycross car launch. But it's very hard on the drivetrain.

The way I remember an STi launch being described (can't remember who, but it was a pro) was in the 4000rpm range with more clutch slip than you think you should be using. 

Obviously this is high stress for the drivetrain and I don't think I'd do many of them with my own car but it'll fire you out of the hole like a mortar. 

One thought I had was that you could maybe practice up on a dirt surface to get the feel without the whiplash or bogging out too bad.

I had to learn in my 2011 WRX.  Found that the sweet spot was around 3500-4200.  Slip it to get going and then dump the clutch.  You really only slip enough to get the car moving.  I will admit, learning to launch a turbo'd AWD WRX was a clutch smoking experience at times.  When you get it right though, damn!!!

If you are modding look into the COBB Acces Port (tuning) and get the map that has launch control - pretty cool.

Long term I would go with a little roll!! You have front and rear end stress along with clutch and transmission. Axles also!! Launching an all wheel drive car is like launching a liter bike. You got to have revs and slip but like you say when you get it right, damn!!