Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch not declutching?

I took the dog out to the beach for a run earlier today, its about a 15 mile trip out there and as i downshifted to swing into the carpark my ute crunched into second (never done that before) about the time i i found out that the clutch wasn't declutching....peddle on the floor and still driving as though i wasn't touching the peddle.

clutch cable isn't broken and the peddle feels weird almost like the clutch diaphragm spring has inverted

got to pull it apart tomorrow night after work....i'll just have to bomb around in my work truck until i can get it sorted

well the clutch fork is ok....one of the spring clips that holds the throw out bearing to the clutch fork is broken but i can't see how that would stop the clutch from working...didn't get time to pull the pressure plate and clutch plate off the flywheel but a quick look doesn't show anything obvious from the outside....the saga will continue tomorrow night if i finish work early enough to get some work done on it

the peddle didn't go to the floor like a broken cable or clutch fork would allow

i found the problem....one of the four damping spring's on the clutch plate had come out when the bent lip of steel that retains it broke off....the damping spring had come out into the diaphragm spring and that blocked the pressure plate from retracting on one side.

the other springs on the clutch plate are also on the point of coming free as the lips that retain them are quite badly chewed up....not quite sure what has caused this.....one thing i can think of is a small misalignment between the engine and the gearbox that is making the clutch damping springs work all the time the engine is running....the other thing i thought of is that i am running a EA82T clutch setup behind a EJ22 and the extra torque might have something to do with it

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

got it all back together and running....legacy clutch disc installed and new throwout bearing and pilot bearing....using the old pressure plate as that was undamaged.

note to anyone replacing the clutch on an EJ with an RX FT4WD DR box....pull the motor NOT the g/box, it would be alot less grief...it took about 4 attempts to get the gearbox spline to mate into the clutch spline....all while under the vehicle on my back laying in the gearbox oil that poured out when i removed the rear driveshaft.....lol i'm going to stink of spirax for weeks.

if i have to do it again i will be pulling the motor for sure

• 3 weeks later...