Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace an axle before selling?

I'm thinking of selling my 02 Legacy GT to get a 07-09 Outback cause I need the trunk space.  My car is mechanically perfect with a recent tuneup, all belts and such.  Care has 148K but will need a new front passenger axle due to a torn boot.  Should this be fixed before selling or won't it matter in the long run?  Will I get another $XXX because I fixed it?

Thanx,

Pete

that's highly variable and depends a lot on you (how you're going to sell it, how much you ask, condition, etc), state regulations (will the person have to have it inspected immediately?), and local buyers, neither of which we can comment on.

fall and tax return season are good times to sell, you have that going for you right now.

in general - of course it matters.  the same reason ($) you don't want to pay to have it done or do it - is the same reason most buyers will move on, hesitate, or negotiate more.

if you're trying to get top dollar - then it's going to matter.  people paying top dollar don't wanna dork around.  a busy doctor doesn't want to juggle a car - they wanna buy and drive.

if you're just trying to move it and asking an average or lower end price for your area - it may not matter....depending on the general Subaru market, state inspections, etc.  friends bought a car last year - paid pretty decent cash for it (nice, low mileage, H6)...but it had a broken boot.  i told them i'd fix it for them for free.  i wouldn't consider that normal but if there's a mechanically inclined person involved a $25 part isn't going to scare them. it'll make most people think though...and it's a $200 repair for the average person.

you'll definitely loose a certain percent of buyers, but that may not affect price.

so again..highly variable and may or may not matter depending on a lot of variables.

• Like 1

The car would sell better with a rebuilt axle as opposed to needing an axle. People are used to having to do things like brakes and tires and oil changes (and even struts) when they buy a higher mileage used car, but axles can turn them off. it can also give them some leverage to bargin you down as in "gee what else hasnt he fixed ..."

I'm only a "newbie" here and most of my experience comes from my hobby (or perhaps, "Habit") of buying and selling motorcycles, but I can usually buy bikes that "need some work" cheap, then do the work myself and sell them on for a profit. I list all the work I've done (I always fit new tires, shocks, fork springs, brake pads etc) and this instils a sense of confidence in prospective buyers that they can just get on a bike I'm selling, and ride.

Most folks have a budget as to how much they can afford to spend, so if they know that the bike (or car) doesn't need any immediate work done, they will often be prepared to spend more to buy that vehicle.

I recently bought a BMW motorcycle that "needed some work" for a bargain basement price, and to finance it I sold a very common Honda that I'd bought cheap and had replaced the tires, shocks, fork springs, brake pads and did a major service on. I listed all the work I'd done, and sold the Honda for around 50% more $$$ than similar bikes were going for, which paid for the BMW with enough left over to pay for (you guessed it) new tires, shocks, fork springs, brake pads and major service.

Most people aren't "home mechanics" like us, so they want a good reliable vehicle, not a project. Cheers, Terry.