Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think I am almost there to getting this 1992 Loyale back up and running.

I had diagnosed this engine as a broken timing belt and it was.

The Driver side belt was majorly broken.

However, I got the new belts on and the timing seemed to be weird and I can't get it to fire up.

The pass. sides seems like it is firing but the driver side is not. It's getting spark and fuel and compression. but no combustion.

Per Chiltons guide I lined up the dots to the top of the timing backing and the crank sproket dot up as well.

but the driver side 2/4 is fouled by fuel, well cylinder 2 is. I didn't check c4.

Compression is abour 150 psi and holds. (no leakage)

Chilton siad something about applying pressure while setting the timing belt, but if I did that then it would not be on it's mark.

So is there anyone out there that has done this repair and knows the exact thing to do to make sure this thing is in time?

I've made sure that the engine was at TDC beore I aligned the cams.

Thanks for your assistance!

-Mike

Maby you did not rotate the engine 360 degrees after you installed the pass. side belt?

Align pass cam mark pointing up, make sure the cylinders are at center bore via flywheel. install pass. belt.

check the marks on the flywheel, make sure it hasn't moved. check the passenger side cam pulley. mark still straight up?

Rotate engine 360 degrees. passenger side cam pulley dot should be pointing directly down. now line up driver side cam pulley pointing up. 

Check your flywheel marks, make sure it is centered just like it was. now install drivers side belt.

sometimes it helps to pitch the pulley half a tooth off before you slip the belt on, the belt tension will pull it into place.

Hope this helps. good luck. 

Watch MilesFox's video as posted above.  Common mistakes are using the TDC/timing-marks on the flywheel instead of the 3 hash marks, not rotating the crank 360 degrees before putting on the second belt (one cam-dot should be up and the other down).

The purpose of applying backwards torque on the camsprocket is just to help set the tension correctly when you release and tighten the tensioners.  Few people seem to follow that procedure.

It sounds to me also that the driver side cam is 180 degrees out and you didn't rotate the crank 360 degrees before adding the second belt. That would keep that side from firing but still show good compression. Fuel to that side would be going in on the power stroke instead of the intake stroke.

Maby you did not rotate the engine 360 degrees after you installed the pass. side belt?

Align pass cam mark pointing up, make sure the cylinders are at center bore via flywheel. install pass. belt.

check the marks on the flywheel, make sure it hasn't moved. check the passenger side cam pulley. mark still straight up?

Rotate engine 360 degrees. passenger side cam pulley dot should be pointing directly down. now line up driver side cam pulley pointing up. 

Check your flywheel marks, make sure it is centered just like it was. now install drivers side belt.

sometimes it helps to pitch the pulley half a tooth off before you slip the belt on, the belt tension will pull it into place.

Hope this helps. good luck. 

The video starts with the driver side, rotate then passenger side. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Edited by MR_Loyale