Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 D/R Ej22 swap

snofool

xt6 knuckles and I'm still figuring it out. Coilovers? not sure yet. Having a hard time finding a inner wheel axel seal that fits properly. I'm thinking about machining the knuckle to fit the seals that I have that are too big. At least then I will have the proper seals  part # 225678 timmken.  I read that this seal would work but no. I am going to try some more at the auto store tomorrow. part #710108 I hope this one fits. If not I will most likely machine the hubs or keep looking for a inner seal that will work.

The knuckles need to be ground down to fit impreza struts or legacy struts. The xt6 knuckles are a little bit bigger. These are the headaches I have encountered. 

• Like 1

This sounds like exactly what I am going through right now with mine. Thanks for the tips and good luck! I really like the Outback wheels too, they must be 16"?

Junkyard score $120! With the tires, which are too big but will get it rollin'.

Ordered a stainless header, j pipe and catalytic converter for the ej swap from Sube 101.  Stoked to get some exhaust and keep the skid plate. One step closer.

I ordered some more axel seals for the front ER knuckles Timken pn 710108, I hope these work as the last ones did not pn 225678. I might end up using my legacy set up,

struts, knuckles and brakes. I am not sure on all this as this is the first car I have done much modification to. Everyday I learn something new. I might look for some front coil overs as the diameter is smaller for the springs and perch. I am not sure how the impreza struts and legacy springs will fit in the ea-82 body. We will see... More pics to come tomorrow as I have another day off and in the garage.

I got some cheapie coilovers and I am going to modify my bottom bracket on my boss lift. And drill a hole in the top to access the camber screws.Just enough to get at the screws. I also finished installing driver's seat with gl-10 seat track, I got to keep the height adjustment. I will be pulling the motor in the ea82 tomorrow and the legacy gets gutted and sent off to the junkyard on wednesday. I am going to keep the suspension and knuckles rotors and calipers incase I cannot use the xt6 rotors and calipers.

Edited by snofool

Figured out a possible solution to my no radiator cap problem. Dodge Durango has one in the upper radiator hose apparently 1.5in in diameter. Shawn W. came up with this after checking out my new radiator. We will see how it all goes together. If at all. I might just end up going stock.

Edited by snofool

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my front 5 lug conversion today. Used Legacy knuckles/calipers/rotors, ea81 tie rod ends and Raceland coilovers in the front. Just had the holes in the coilovers moved inward to fit the gl Strut pattern.With a Boss 2in lift and camber adjustment on top and bottom. It is patiently awaiting the ride to Retro Roo for the 90' EJ 2.2 which is ready to go with exhaust headers and cat w/ oxygen bung. Bleed the breaks and put it on a trailer tomorrow. I feel like it might actually happen. We will see how the suspention will hold up, The coilovers are for a 08-13 wrx. I figured I would just try and use the stock strut tops on the rear. Once again we will see if this works. It's all trial and error. Tires are 225/65/16. They might rub a bit in the bumps. I am interested how this thing will handle now. I might end up with narrower tires but they were cheap and in front of me with rims 120 bucks. Problem solved, now on to another one.

Edited by snofool
  • Like 1

Ej is in. Brz radiator went in pretty easily. Used a stepped drill bit and bored the holes to fit the rubber grommets. Different location than the stock one. Drilled a new mounting system on the top. Fairly easy mod for a solid aluminum 2 row radiator. Now I am figuring out the radiator cap/fill reservoir. Running it like a vw with overflow on the heater core lines. The wiring looks daunting to say the least. I am crossing my fingers that I will be able to get this thing running by the end of the month. I have until the 23rd to register it. I still need to bleed the brakes a bit.

Edited by snofool

I modified the legacy airbox to fit the gl lower bracket by cutting grinding the lower portion of the legacy box off. It simply pressure fits now but soon to get a simple high temprature silicone/ adhesive. Maybe some ultra grey. I think that will be sufficient.  More to do tomorrow! One step at a time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

now that it has stopped raining and the flood is diminishing, I can get back to work on the car. Here are some pictures of the street next to us. The whole street was a whitewater torrent! Poor guys in that apt complex. Alot of people here lost everything.

Edited by snofool

where did you get you exhaust. im about to swap ,my loyale and i want the same set up basically . thanks

Post#7 Sube 101 is his user name.  sube4x4@gmail.com He's a great guy. Stands by his work and it's good work. I'm having him shorten my 02 pipe so the fit is better. He will have a better idea of how to make that part for the future.

Post#7 Sube 101 is his user name.  sube4x4@gmail.com He's a great guy. Stands by his work and it's good work. I'm having him shorten my 02 pipe so the fit is better. He will have a better idea of how to make that part for the future.

Agreed 100% I have a single port version of this header and It fits and sounds great!

She runs! Now let's see how pretty I can make the bird's nest of a wiring harness. I have to thank kingbobdole for all the help. He pretty much held my hand through the splicing it into the gl chassis. I could have made the harness look better but this is the first time I have done anything like this so, I was impatient. Always a bad idea. I am learning a lot on here and from all the good peolpe helping me get this thing on the road and off!Cheers and Beers to you all for the help!

Edited by snofool
  • Like 1

Got some fans on the radiator. Tried to drive it around the block. I have a lot of steering issues to work out. And brake issues. Not as powerful as I would have thought. I still need the speed sensor hooked up and tachometer basicly all the dash wiring. It drives like crap without a muffler and the alignment is really really bad. I hope I can refine the suspention, steering and brakes.

Edited by snofool

So far I am kicking myself for this project. I am going to end up running 195 75 14 bfg all terrains. I am also trying to put some legacy struts on the front cause the ride is too stiff for wheelin' No flex out of a coil over. It has less power than the ea 82? Don't know why but it does. Throwing a code 14. However the car ran great before the swap ej22. I hope I can get the kinks worked out or I will sell it. Not as pleased as I thought I would be.