Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 D/R Ej22 swap

snofool

I think the-5 temperatures might have something to do with it not warming up. :ph34r:  I installed cardboard in from of the a/c condenser and it took 45 min of hard mountain driving to get the car up to temp and idle down to 700. But this thing rips up snowy roads! 4low has a great 2nd gear. All in all it's fun to drive and when it gets ac it won't be overheating at all.

Edited by snofool

One more axel and it already clicks. Boo napa. I guess I will buy some subaru axels. I don't even have the front lift on anymore. I'm running impreza AGX struts w/o lift blocks. Maybe one inch lift. I was going to lower the engine, but it seems I do not have room with the radiator fans and the power steering wheel. I might get an inch if i'm lucky. So many hurdles, so I will run it as is for now. I also need to align the rear passengers tire. The minike special is just that, special. It still takes special attention while driving. Torque steer in 2wd. And the car drives the same, has a good pull to the right. They did manage to get my steering wheel to look straight. I'm sure it will be ok but it's anoying me so I will see what else or whom else I know that can help me fix this. On dirt it's great. On the highway it's terrible. Especially in grooves. In the future I would not 5lug again. Mostly because of the driveline issues (axels). And the difficulty getting the correct fit. I have not gone the custom route yet but I might if this one fails too quickly.

Where in co you at? if you ever come up to estes drop me a line!

I have a 90 loyale (lt. Dan) and a gl-10 (bubba) . plus you can test it out driving through glen haven. Lt dan was first vehicle out of fox creek/north fork after the flood. Had to use the atv trail to get out.

Your sube is lookin good!

t

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First oil change @ 93000 give or take and the first road trip proving well so far. I need to upgrade rear suspension to match the quality of the front. It would be nice to have the fans on a relay as well so they would kick on and off when needed. 3500 mi and counting on the swap so far. it's more fun at sea level for sure.

• Like 1

G'day mate,

To hook up the fans to make them ECU controlled you need to use plug F47, wire 17.  This is an earth switched wire, same as the stock EA radiator thermo switch.  You can wire it straight into that factory wiring if you've got your fans hooked into that, just make sure it's NOT on the earth wire side of the radiator switch ;)

With the ECU controlling the thermo fans they should switch on and off as needed.  If they're on all the time you need a new temp sensor - the brown plug, two wire unit on the coolant crossover pipe under the intake manifold - it's a PITA to get to!

I'm still working on my radiator situation too.  Your setup looks neat - I personally wouldn't worry about it, after having seen the pics I think it's neat and effective.

If you don't want 5 lug anymore "feel free" to ship the rear end setup to me!!

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Hooked the drivers side fan to a relay and a switch inside the car. I have driven over 4000 mi in the last three or four weeks and the car has been pretty good overall. I want a franken motor and a turbo now. I am heading to glamis sand dunes in the morning to burn up my clutch and practice digging in the sand. I will try and remember to take some pics and videos to share.

I am getting a 33 code. VSS. It is hooked up but it is still throwing a code for it. Yellow/red wire under dash? I checked it on a diagram but car still throws it. And code 17 injector 4. Car started to idle funny at stop light and I could tell it was running on three cylinders. Then it runs just fine. Not getting good mileage however. 21-22mpg. I have some new injectors that will go in today. Anyone else running no vss? How much will this affect the performance of the ej?

• 10 months later...

After months of overheating I finally switched out to the stock 89 gl radiator, now it runs fine without the expansion tank. New injectors black ones. Everything seems to be running good with the new radiator and I have heat again! Not sure why the other system didn't work. But if it runs without overheating I will feel better about driving cross country in it. Which is always exciting. Plus i got some new wheels and snow tires!

post-36065-0-23788700-1419895246_thumb.jpg 

Edited by snofool

• 3 months later...

Here is the back side of baby lions back. And some pics from march in canyon lands. I tried elephant hill and got through most of the hard part but decided after burning the clutch and not having back up i should go back before breaking down in the desert. And still needing to drive home 600 miles. So far I've put 17,000 miles on the car with no worries.  The overheating issue was solved by just sticking to the stock radiator. I wish I had lower gears.

IMG_1157.MOV

post-36065-0-65329500-1428799413_thumb.jpgpost-36065-0-52948800-1428799522_thumb.jpg

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=15785

Awesome pic!

So you're now running a stock single core L series radiator with an EJ and no overheating??  That sounds crazy!  Glad it's sorted your overheating problem though, and I hope it stays away!  Last year I found out I had the blades on my thermo fans the wrong way around, I was pretty pissed at this!  They pulled air so much better once the fans were the right way around...

Your subi really reminds me of mine back in the day when the paint was still really good on her.  Keep it that way on yours ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• 1 year later...

35,000 miles and counting. Just put in a spec stage 3 clutch replaced broken clutch fork new bearings and finally hooked up the oil pressure sending unit. Keep blowing out passenger cv boots.  With just impreza struts and outback springs in the front. No extra lift. Just started to get some rust on the body panels. 

• 3 weeks later...

The pass side inner cv boot issue will have something to do with the position if the Y pipe exhaust and the location of the cat converter to the cv boot. Heat will kill them! Make a shield and it should be good.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

• 1 year later...