Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question regarding 2006 - 2009 Outbacks

I'm looking to get an Outback, probably between 2006 to 2009.  Are there any known problems to these model years that I should look out for?  When I got my 2002 GT, they had issues with the head gasket, but mine was taken care of before I bought it.  I need a wagon now so I just wanted to make sure there were no surprises with the above liste model years as I haven't kept up since I didn't need to buy one for a while.

Thanx - Pete

good to know about ghostwalking:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/30747-2005-2009-ghostwalking-abnormal-winter-handling-fixes.html

and the shakes, which I think are 2010 only issues but i'd make sure:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/108-steering-wheel-shake-issues/

headgaskets are still an issue until 2009.  the symptoms vary a tiny bit from the 2002 era, but are still very similar, mostly the same for our purposes.  external leaks, oil or coolant in the same area underneath.  look at the head mating surface and they're either wet/leaking or not.  no surprises (like the older Phase I DOHC EJ25 which is terribly hard to diagnose or inspect).

EJ25 Turbo headgaskets don't leak and can work on those engines (and your old 2002).  if you don't get those you still get the same prone to leak headgasket it came with (unless somethings changed recently).

2005's have an ECU/Catalytic converter reprogramming TSB or fix - check into that, if you need it or it's a TSB or whatever.  I think P0420 codes are one symptom of that particular issue/year.

• 4 years later...

I have a 2009 that is knocking, bought a used block and it's a knocker as well. So looking at purchasing a new or rebuilt shortblock.

Idosubaru can you tell me more about using turbo headgaskets? Mines N/A and I am curious if I should use a different headagsket than the stock ones when I build the longblock.

I have a 2009 that is knocking, bought a used block and it's a knocker as well. So looking at purchasing a new or rebuilt shortblock.

Idosubaru can you tell me more about using turbo headgaskets? Mines N/A and I am curious if I should use a different headagsket than the stock ones when I build the longblock.

11044AA770 is the 2.5L Turbo Multi Layer Steel head gasket PN