Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up a ej205, but it's missing the coils for the spark plugs

Can I wire it up to where I can run just the single coil pack like whats on earlier models? 

They would  need proper signal wires hooked up I would think?

I'm definatally on a budget and can't afford 90 bucks a pop for those, considering I only spent 200 on the motor lol

ok Its a 03 ej205 heads+engine control going into a already ej22 swapped 87 rx, I have  ph1 ej22 parts like the coil pack/ignitor, I would like to try and run the wasted spark setup, in this if possible. I got a good Idea how wasted spark works, I was thinking of combining 1-3 and 2-4 off the wrx harness for each of the 2-coils on the WS, maybe running diodes to prevent power from going to the unused signal pin for the slight moment if that could mess it up? I believe  both systems run the 12v ref. voltage too?

I'm confused, it isnt you, its me allergies and over tired. Are you tying to convert a coil-over-plug engine to dual coils? where 1-2 and 3-4 have coils, and why?

yes, I'm on a low budget lol and for the sake of availibility, I also sometimes like to try different things

Edited by subarurx yo

I would say just run it with the EJ22 harness but there are probably differences in the idle control and the 2.2 harness and ECU won't run the newer style IAC.

Conversely, keeping the 2.0 harness does you no good. There is no way to make the ignition wiring differences work. The ECU and igniter send different signals to the COPs than they do to a single coil pack. It's much more involved than simply hooking up two wires.

You could certainly run a single coil IF you have an ECU and harness that's compatible with the type of IAC valve that's on the 2.0 intake, AND also has the wiring for a single coil pack. Maybe a 99-01 ej25 harness and ECU would work?

Other than that, best bet would be to find some used COPs, or put the 2.2 heads and intake on the 2.0 block and run it with the 2.2 harness.

Well I already have wrx harness and since its already a turbo motor its stock fast lol, I was running a untuned ej22e on 4lbs and it doesn't cut it powerwise. I have the wrx heads on the 2.2 block, I really want to just get the benifit of the good head flow and have an already turbo setup that will yield a lot more power than what I already have

i don't do turbo motors, but have you seen the SPFI set ups?

a simple way to do forced induction on Subaru's is to install an SPFI injector in the intake manifold just past the throttle body. the idea is to keep stock FI so that's simple and requires no wiring work, but add more fuel as boost kicks in with a dedicated injector.  i think it's controlled with a rising rate Fuel Pressure Regulator that increases as boost increases, or something like that.  it's simple and parts can be had at yards for pocket change.  and you can probably spif it up if you want to.

if the EJ22 intake manifold bolts up to the EJ205 heads, or the EJ22 intake wiring can be fitted to the EJ205 intake manifold, then you simply retain your stock EJ22 control (which is the singular coil pack you want) and add an injector with simple controller (RRFPR - rising rate fuel pressure regulator) or there's probably other options too.

a $200 EJ205 sounds scary if money is an issue, but hopefully you knew the person, got lucky, or stole it, LOL j/k

ej205 c.o.p. coils are "smart", getting a logic signal sent to them by the ecu processor which tells an on board transistor how to behave which in turn tells the coil how to behave.

early coil packs are "dumb" and require a signal from the ignitor to tell em whats up.

There are subaru coil packs that are smart and use no ignitor may work off of a signal intended for a smart c.o.p. but that might be  a stretch.  each coil has its own characteristics and its signal matches accordingly.  a new problem pops up in getting off the shelf plug wires of the right configuration.

you sir are a perfect candidate for megasquirt.. I dont know how you were managing your old motor but i bet you werent getting the most out of that setup.

Sam

Original idea was MS, I just haven't got to it, ill end up just getting cops, I already everything except coils, cam pulleys and just a few misc. Things, I got the 205 with a spun bearing, that's why it was cheap lol.

I tried a single mpfi ea82 injector to a boost pressure switch, it ran SO bad, of course that's no pulse, it was worth the shot.

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding pulleys

And coils used, at almost 700bux for it all , it isn't affordable now lol

Original idea was MS, I just haven't got to it, ill end up just getting cops, I already everything except coils, cam pulleys and just a few misc. Things, I got the 205 with a spun bearing, that's why it was cheap lol.

I tried a single mpfi ea82 injector to a boost pressure switch, it ran SO bad, of course that's no pulse, it was worth the shot.

For some reason I'm having a hard time finding pulleys

And coils used, at almost 700bux for it all , it isn't affordable now lol

All the more reason to consider MegaSquirt:  A cheaper alternative that allows you the flexibility to run a non-stock configuration.

• Like 1

nice! you tried it? what MPFI on what engine?

i think it needs to be an SPFI injector? my understanding is an MPFI can't handle it.

It was a turbo car injector, since it has a rubber hose connection, easy to fit in place, I ran a T off the main fuel feed line, to the injector, it probably would work off I had a 5th injector controller lol

All the more reason to consider MegaSquirt: A cheaper alternative that allows you the flexibility to run a non-stock configuration.

I wanted too, it's just that I kinda fear the whole programming or calibration thing and it not working I emailed DIY autotune and they quoted around 600 bucks for everything

You might want to discuss this with bluto5, as he seems to have a fair amount of practical knowledge of MS.  (He has a thread where he talks about converting from coil pack to COP on his MS.)  My impression is that you can probably get off easier than $600... and that is still less than just the COPs.

humm, who wants an ms? 

If you were interested in going this route, I may be able to put something plug n play together for you.  I am a wholesaler for diy and could get you into it with just as much $$ as needed, no fluff or or unnecessarys. Put a base tune on it and it would be ready for action.

probably in the area of 50-75% of their quote depending on how much ms to engine harness wiring you wanted to do.

Pm me if ya like.

Sam

Edited by bluto5