Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Brat Blower Motor Relay problem~getting close..I think

For diagnosis:

No fan speeds for Blower motor at all~ so from what I hear probably not the resistor. Also, the Blower motor stopped working all at once, no intermittent failure~ if it were the switch wouldn't it be likely to fail some and work other times? I'm thinking it's the Blower Motor Relay~ Haven't taken a meter to anything yet~(need to purchase one).

2 quick questions before I proceed:

In the photo of the relay comparison~ Based on location (just above the fuse box) and appearance, I think I've found the Blower motor relay for my Brat.

Problem is, the other Relay in the photo is in a Loyale. Can anyone confirm I've got the right Relay Location for an 86 Brat? Manual I have doesn't show it at all~

2nd question: From the second graphic from another Subaru Repair manual (again a Loyale)  it shows another relay  under the hood (?) Is this a possible cause as well, and can anyone confirm which exact Relay it is?

Not having direction that is "Brat Specific" has been frustrating. 

I've got the dash all apart already & am not putting it back together until I get the fan running again  :angry: 

Please let me know~am I getting close? Thanks in advance~

BRATMOBILE

post-48032-0-82878700-1375886792_thumb.jpg

post-48032-0-72454200-1375886882_thumb.png

Blower relay is under dash, drivers side behind fuse box.

wires will be

Blue or Blue/yellow (Ig switched 12v from fuse 5)

Black (ground)

Large White (Power supply from battery through fusible link #2)

Large Green/white (power out to blower when relay closed)

Additionally, under the dash is a glass fuse in an idividual holder, 20A....this is on the White wire before it goes to the Relay.

Hope this info helps.

Helps a lot~thanks . I do feel like I'm getting somewhere, even if it is by process of elimination.Before reading your reply, went to parts store and they had the square type (one labelled AC Main relay) in stock. Swapped them out but no change. There are only two other relays nearby, which I double checked~when I remove & reinstall the Headlights are affected, which as it turns out is in keeping with the photo I'd shown earlier. So I still haven't located the blower fan relay, I just know which ones it isn't. I believe the Relay I need is Part#056700-4810. The ones I pulled for the headlights is part #056700-5260. So I'm still in search of for the blower motor relay location. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again~  

No, it will be the same type of relay as the Headlight relays.  Interchanges with the rectangular ones in the 90's legacies.

Did you find the Glass fuse on the white wire? 20 Amp in an inline holder.  The Relay will be near that fuse, and will have that big white wire going into it.

Edited by Gloyale

I'm basing the part number off of a site that sells the relay (or, so they say), Dave's discount auto parts. The two relays part #056700-4810 &  part #056700-5260 look identical, they are the same round type. Just the inked part number on the side is different.    Here's the link for the part: http://www.davesdiscountautoparts.com/ShopByVehicle.epc?q=1986-SUBARU-Brat-H4--1781cc--1.8l--2--Bbl--Vin--Ea81&yearid=1986%40%401986&makeid=78%40%40SUBARU%40%40B&modelid=6367%40%40BRAT&engineid=7521%40%40H4-1781cc%201.8L%202%20BBL%20Vin%20EA81%40%407521&catid=6@@Heating/AC&subcatid=94@@AC%20Relays%20and%20Switches&mode=PA

Don't know if the part number is correct for sure, but in my online searching, this comes the closest to what the relay should look like. (as far as I know) 

Also, I found the 20A fuse and the White wire. I'll trace it and see if I can find another round type relay nearby. Haven't seen it yet though.

Thanks again!~