Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10T Trip

I am going to NJ next week to bring my GL-10T wagon home. (1986)

I need to replace both alt and a/c belts before heading back to Maine.

What tools will I need to do the belts and what should I take for tools etc for the trip? The car will be driven home followed by another vehicle, we do have cell phone and AAA. I am taking a portable air tank, and battery pak, along with some metric tools like wrenches and sockets. Anything I need to know about changing the belts -- special tools or ????

Thanks

Milt

Mainly you need a couple different ways to turn a 12MM bolt along with the small (8mm?) nut on the back of the alternator. Something to pry up on the alternator to get a good pressure on the belts is also advisable...if you are strong you can hold it in place without prying but I like to hold it with a bar, feel the belt, and then have a free hand to tighten the adjuster bolts with.

Yup, it's pretty simple. The alternator is held in place with two 12mm bolts. I don't remember the size of the lock-bolt on the other tensioner (be prepared for 8, 10, or 12mm), but it is tensioned with a 12mm wrench or ratchet as well.

Good luck with the trip. I hope you and your soob make it safely.