Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New clutch not working after install.

So the Brat is almost road-going and I am dying to get her out.  I am currently only stumped by two things.  One being the carb, which I have asked about in the 80's forum and the other being the clutch.

New clutch disc, pilot, throwout, pressure plate and throwout return springs.

Everything is back together and there is no clutch engagement at all?  The pedal goes all the way to the floor with nothing?

I checked the fork and it is not loose or of the pivot.  The return springs are working as it pulls the bearing back out.  I can even move the fork on my own and there is resistance.

So what am I missing?  There is a ton of slack and the adjuster is almost all of the way out.  I do have a new clutch cable but have not put that in yet.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Jon

looks right change cabble check that the fork is seated to the ball pivot sounds like streched cabble addjust it to about 1/8 inch play. If the disk was backwards the plate whould not look like it does also did you change the small pilot berring I find is very hard to install without damaging it did the transs go on nicely ? or was it a fight

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for confirming Ivan!!!!!

Pilot was replaced and the trans slid right into the crankshaft/pilot with little to no effort. 

I will check the pivot and just install the new clutch cable I have.

I will report back with my findings and thanks again for the info.  I really hope that the cable is the issue and it was stretched.  Still seems odd that I get no engagement at all though?  Oh well, won't know til I swap cables.

Cables swapped and she shifts flawlessly!  I can't believe it was stretched that far.  Who knows.  At least she can be driven now.

Did a small burnout last night on accident as I was not used to the clutch working so well, lol.

engine looks good by the way... nice job.

PS the coors light can beside it remids me of a few mechanical blunders ive commited....

I would say a few beers have been harmed during this build, lol.  Garage time is my sanity time - no wife or kid.  Just me, a project, tools, music and beer for a few hours a week.  Used to be a lot more but what can ya do.