Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Turbo XT 4wd re-assembly, stuck help!

I tried searching and it was about as useful as a paper weight.  I was wondering if anyone that knows or has an ea82 turbo engine could tell me more about where the wires coming off of the distributor plug into?  I have 2 wires that go to the coil, and a third single wire that I can't figure out where it goes, it's short, only reaches as far as the two wires that go to the distributor reach.   Any ideas?

Also the battery wires going to the starter motor have a metal bracket attached to them, I can't figure out where that bracket is supposed to attach either.

These are my only two mysteries so far putting this car back together.

Thank you for any help!

Edited by Mr. Carb

What year? 85 and 86 mpfi have a mechanical disty and an external knock control unit. The balck wire is positive and the yellow wire is negative. The other odd plug may be for the knock sensor on top of the block near the timing plug. The knock control unit is installed in the passenger ide fender behind the strut tower.

the metal bracket on the ground starter cable goes on after the starter is aligned to the std, and before you put the bolt through. It installs on the rearward face of the starter 'ear'

The bracket fits to there the bolt part fotr the cable itself overlaps forward on the starter ear.

Edited by MilesFox

Thank you for your help, I have to figure out how to get the usmb to notify me people have replied. lol.

Bracket instructions make sense and help a lot, i'll get that installed, starter was already in, so that makes since why I didn't see where it goes. :lol:

Knock sensor is already plugged in.  This wire is at the other end (drivers side) by the coil, it's a spade plastic clip (normal subaru electrical plugs) type connector (black and yellow stripe if I remember right) separate from the two coil wires but it comes out of the same spot of the harness, and is about the same length of wire as the coil wires.  The other harness I pulled out has the same wires (identical).  I replaced it because the knock sensor plug on the old harness was busted.

It's a 1986, sorry forgot to add that.

What year? 85 and 86 mpfi have a mechanical disty and an external knock control unit. The balck wire is positive and the yellow wire is negative. The other odd plug may be for the knock sensor on top of the block near the timing plug. The knock control unit is installed in the passenger ide fender behind the strut tower.

the metal bracket on the ground starter cable goes on after the starter is aligned to the std, and before you put the bolt through. It installs on the rearward face of the starter 'ear'

The bracket fits to there the bolt part fotr the cable itself overlaps forward on the starter ear.

Nope, different wire, that one is already hooked up.

This wire is about 4 inches long and it comes out of the same group of wires next to the distributor as the 2 wires that hook up to the ign coil (from the engine side)

Whoops, i missed that part when i posted although it says so in the thread title! 

The single wire you mention with the plastic molded clip fits on the spade on the back of the starter solenoid.

Edited by Mr. Carb

The 85/86 EA82T sedans nonXT had a white plastic plug with black wire, yellow? stripe/trace that is a test plug - remains disconnected. At ignition on only will have 5.0 Volts, engine running 1.7V until a knock to block with detonation or simulated with a hammer - can jump to 4.5V

This it ?

I just worked on an 86 xt today. Although it has some horribly cobbled together engine/intake/intercooler. I noticed it has the same wire, and of course, it is not connected to anything. There are other wires not going anywere, which i would guess go to the ac system which has been deleted.

But there are so many odd plugs that don't go to anything. But then again part of the trans harness is missing, it is an 86 body with an 87.5 spider intake and a ford intercooler. 

But hthe car runs although it is not tuned properly at all and is basically un-tuneable