Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So working in sales as I do, I get to play with all of the new Subarus. Generally it's a lot of fun, and of course being around Soobs all day makes me happy! But I would just like to shine some light on the brand new Forester that was released this year, as it has exceeded our expectations both for sales numbers, and in terms of the capabilities and fit-and-finish of the vehicle.

Now I don't know if any of you guys have had a chance to drive one of these bad boys, but the XT models are astoundingly fast, they combine a turbocharged version of the FA20 2.0l Direct injected engine (originally marketed in the BRZ/FRS/GT-86) with a Lineartronic CVT, with the turbocharger being a twin-scroll unit. They also incorporated a transmission setting that Subaru has named "X mode" which essentially mimics a 4WD low setting at speeds below 30Km/H. It also includes a hill descent control feature.

Subaru has managed to squeeze 250 HP and 258 Lbs/ft out of this 2.0L engine, and due to the powertrain setup and the reduced weight (CVT/Xspd auto/manual) the Brand new forester gets fantastic fuel economy as well!

It is my personal opinion that the brand new Forester actually holds it's own pretty well against a WRX! it may have about 15 HP fewer, but the two vehicles have similar weights. Now this is where it gets interesting. If you have ever taken a look at acceleration graphs, you know that geared transmissions are curved and taper off at higher Rpms (if that makes sense) the beauty of the acceleration afforded by the CVT is that your acceleration is completely linear. So in theory, the more consistent acceleration actually gives the Forester a leg up on higher-horsepower geared-transmission vehicles. Then combine that with a drive-by-wire throttle and engine management that controls the ratio of throttle input to fuel output (Allowing it to increase fuel delivery in the "Sport# mode), and you have one fast codswalloping machine.

Anyway, I hadn't noticed anyone talking about this awesome addition to the Subaru line-up, so I thought I would start a conversation on it!

Who remembers Battlestar Galactica? I mean come on, look at that maw on the front of that Bad boy.

post-32559-0-89411500-1376409442_thumb.jpg

Anyway, if anyone is looking to pick up a new Soob, definitely give this one a try. The world was demanding a brand new updated Forester, and Subaru answered quite defiantly by releasing an absolute monster.

So, lets talk Foresters!

I was surprised to find out that the turbo models were not available with a manual transmission. 

My cousin just picked up a '14 Forester 2.5 with a 6sp manual, he loves it but was disappointed to find that you could only get the cvt with a turbocharged model.

I realize that the CVT offers some performance advantages, however I feel that the driving experience is better when you can choose how/when you shift and far outweigh the small performance advantage. My .02

The CVT does come with paddle shifters, and is able to mimic both a 6 speed close range manual transmission, and a similar 8 speed. the only difference is that there is no clutch pedal.

It's all very cool. I'm a die-hard manual driver myself, but it's definitely not bad by any stretch.

14 Foz Fan right here. Haven't driven one but I love the way they look outside and in.

I've driven the CVT before, and while it is an entirely different feel, I think it will make much better use of the Turbo power in the XT. Think about it, a constant jet engine whine from standstill to whatever speed your heart desires! Power brake and get uninterrupted boost for that whole quarter mile!

I don't see the point of having the off-road features on the XT model, I think they should have stuck those goodies in with another trim package geared entirely toward off road (along with some fatter tires and more lift), but the paddle shifters will be necessary to help with speed control when off-road. Something the X model will miss out on.