Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Legacy - Purchasing - Need mechanical info

This is for a 1999*********Typo in title

I've been in the hunt for a Legacy recently, for under 3grand, and I believe I've found a winner. I'm not really mechanically inclined, but well aware of the common issues that plagued these subarus. This is the meat of the craigslist ad where I found this:*******

Outback Limited 30th Anniversary Edition, Wagon, AWD 
Two-tone white/beige exterior - gray interior
4-speed AT
2.5L H4 DOHC 16V
VIN #: 4S3BG6855X6632006
Clean title
$2950 OBO - Cash only

Features include leather heated seats, leather steering wheel, dual moon/sun roof, bucket seats, fog lights, power windows, power door locks, power heated mirrors, rear window defroster, tinted glass (rear glass is not tinted anymore after being replaced, but side windows are), ABS, air conditioning, roof rack, stereo w/ CD player, anti-theft alarm. 

This has been a great commuter car for me for 10 years, including driving around the mountains. I enjoyed driving it and never had to worry getting around in the winter. I'm selling now because I wanted a new car. The car has normal wear and tear, inside and out. No major damage, dents, etc. . .

Known issues: Has a leak, squeaking sound from front wheels on occasion, ABS cable needs replacing. The check engine light has been on since I bought the car used from Automotive Avenues. They replaced $800 in sensors but that did not solve the problem. I've had other mechanics look into it as well with no conclusion -- however everything works and there has been no problem directly related to the light being on. Air conditioner needs to serviced.

Repairs I've put into the car in the last 5 years include replacing the head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, front & rear brakes pads and rotors, all drive belts, cam seal, axle on one side and wheel bearings. 

The speedometer head was replaced in 2009, the mileage cannot be guaranteed. In total, I believe there to be approx 181,000 miles.

I've spoken with this lady a few times, and I made sure that all the replacements had been done has routine maintenance, and not as a result of anything breaking or overheating. The ABS cable seems a cheap enough fix, but I'm unsure as what to make of the leak and squeaking from the front wheels. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I've done my research, and I've read that improperly repaired axles and over tightening could be a culprit, but she assured be this problem didn't appear after any repairs or mechanic visits....Basically I'm just happy to find something with lower mileage for the price range, and that has already has the head gaskets replaced, as that seems to be a major problem which has plagued subarus until the past few years. She had the odometer replaced, and there's def no more than 190k on it. Air conditioner and engine light brings up questions, but not sure if they could be issues. Basically they're asking 2900 for it, which is a good deal under blue book. I know cards under 3 grand are a real gamble. I could grab something for over 7grand, but really just want something basic and used that will run a good while longer. Subarus have that reputation for going to 300k-400k. Any thoughts or input on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll obviously have it taken to a mechanic, but prior to purchase, any woes or encouragement would help. Thanks again

-Maxwell

Edited by Scatterbrain

Wow, that's cheap. Even for that mileage (IMO).

Would be nice to know what codes are setting the CEL, that would give you a good idea of how much more $ you'll need to put in. Scary that they replaced 800$ in sensors, if I had to guess I would say it's emissions related - does CO do emissions testing/inspection?

Keep in mind you'll be due for a t-belt service in the next 10-15k.

P.S. Thought these were 5EAT's by this gen (Ad says 4AT)?

PPS. "This has been a great commuter car for me for 10 years" - did I take that long of a nap? What year is it? :)

Edited by nickb21

Yea, colorado is pretty hardcore about emissions. I think it was the place she bought it from paid to have all this stuff done to repair the check engine light, with no fix. Probably no way of figuring out codes before purchase. What do you think a timing belt would run, don't they have to open the whole thing up? I'm not sure about it being 4AT. At first I thought these low priced legacys I found were some sort of scam, now I'm just thinking craigslist sellers in the area and basing prices upon other ads. Because I'm finding more and more around this price range. Thanks for the t-belt heads up nick. Buying cheap used cars make me nervous, but this seems like a good find. 

AH****

Most important thing I forgot to add, all of these repairs were not done at a Subaru mechanic. She said she has used the same mechanic for every fix, and the shop uses NAPA replacement parts......Again....thoughts?

Are we sure that isn't a 1999 Outback? I have a 1999 Legacy in my yard with a 30th anniversary badge on the fender. The previous owner says they've been commuting in it for 10 years... and also you say it has the DOHC 2.5.

Those signs point me directly at a 1999, not a 2009.

The mileage, if your estimate is close, isn't very high for a 99 considering that's 14 years old

I'm no expert on the subject but I've heard un-kind things about the DOHC 2.5, if the car was otherwise rust free and you could get a code reader on it I'd still be tempted to check it over...

The ad says the spedo head was replaced in 2009, so maybe that is where the source of confusion started as to what model year the car is.

With it being a 30 year anniversary model, and with the VIN decoded, it has to be a 1999 model.

Good to see that the head gaskets were replaced. With the speedo head replace, it is impossible to know how many miles on the car.

Would suggest running a CarFax on the car to see what the report would be.

Hah, clearly I made a mistake in the title and I'll switch it. It's definitely a 99. The lady owned it and had the speedometer replaced. She was unsure because it worked off and on for a few months before she had it replaced. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth its value considering the repairs that need to be done...Gaskets were main issue, which is good..But at least the ABS sensor, and front leak. She mentioned taking care of the timing belt and water pump in the past few years, probably when the gaskets were replaced...Haven't started reading up on Subarus until recently, and honestly just got rid of my truck and swore to only bike from now on...but then I left middle of the rockies....and I long for it. These things seem to be the official car of Colorado..

Will run through carfax before any purchse.

Will take to subi mechanic right off the back

Edited by Scatterbrain