Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 GL wagon dies under load

Hey everyone it's been quite a while since I been here. So for the first time in quite a while I'm actually having issues with my trusty lil GL wagon. At idle its fine but only for a few mins then it dies out. but when I take it under load (say shifting 3rd to 4th) it just dies like as if its ran put of gas. It will drive just fine in 1st to 2nd gear but shifting past that and issues start to come up. Today when I got home from work I found my dad taking out the PCV valve to check it and it checked out fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Car info:

85 GL wagon with D/R 4WD carb'd EA82 255,xxx mi

Thanks!!

Consider replacing the fuel filter(s). Assuming the car has a carburetor, you will have the filter under the dash, ut there is also one at the fuel pump. This is easy to get to. 

The fuel pump and filter are located just ahead of the rear tire on the passenger side under the car. You will find a triangular plate with 3 bolts thet the filter and pump are mounted to.

I would assume the 2nd filter was missed and never changed, so i would resort to this measure first.

I'm finding conflicting information about any other fuel filters on OHC carbureted EA82's.

This thread, which garnered little attention, has a few replies denying the existence of any other fuel filter for that engine/setup aside from the one in line from the pump. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/89641-2-fuel-filters-in-85-gl-carbd-where-is-2nd/?do=findComment&comment=752816

What's the story here?

*edit* confirming there is only ONE fuel filter based on general consensus. Here's another thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/12218-does-ea82-carbed-have-two-fuel-filtersnow-fuel-pump-question/

Edited by l75eya

I have had enough 85 gl's 86, and even an 87 with a carb to know what i am suggesting. Conflicting information is born of those who are not certain in what they are referencing.

Replace the fuel filter at the pump because those not familiar with subarus most likely don't know it's there.

Starving for fuel under load is common of a bad fuel filter. Anyone else answering this thread would ask if both fuel filters have been changed.

Why you be trolling my post. Your comments add no value to this topic, and overall discredit this forum as a reliable source of information about these cars. The OP is going to read this and dismiss the idea of ever coming here to ask about their problem.

I  meant under the hood when i typed dash, and i must have deleted what i posted in edit trying to play on your calling me out for a typo by referring to blinker fluid. I am sure you would have understood that i meant under the hood as we all can assume the fuel system is not internal inside of the body of the car. 

Don't expect to come into my posts and dis-validate any of my nuggets of info unless you have the same or better experience with subarus, such as better than 30 ea82's and more than 10 years on this forum. 

Pm replied. Was a complete misunderstanding, had no idea you meant hood and the blinker fluid just added to my confusion. To be clear now though, are there two fuel filters?

Sorry for the confusion, as stated; complete misunderstanding

There have always been 2 fuel filters in carbureted ea82. You may be thinking of 82 and earlier ea81's where the fuel pump is under the hood.

As the title above says, 86 GL wagon is ea82 since ea81 were only made as hatch and brat from 85-98 and 87, respectively.

And don't worry, not trying to upstage you by any means, there's no denying you've gone way deeper into these cars than me. That being said though, I personally feel that belittling me wasn't quite the called for response. I'm here to learn from people such as yourself, and to help those I can. That's all I was trying to do above. Nothing more / less.

Sorry, i must have read you wrong. We all know how the internet doesn't convey emotion properly. If you are missing a filter, it may have been deleted by a previous owner. By design, there would be a straight through filter on the fuel pump mounting plate, and a 3-fitting filter on the firewall by the brake booster with 2 out the front and one out the top.

• Like 1

Thanks and yeah, it was just confusion. All good now though and learned something new! I'm going to replace that filter tomorrow, or add it, depending on current conditions.

And now the OP can see that ppl on the USMB actually reach agreements over disagreements and don't resort to making fun of each others moms and will now stay :P haha! Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

EA82 cars only have the one back by the pump.

There is no underhood fuel filter on carbed EA82.  the fitler is by the pump in front of rear tire, pass side, under car....mounted on a shelf.

EA82 FI cars only have a high pressure filter under the hood, none by the pump.

Sorry miles you are thinking of EA81 cars with 2 filters.

Yeah, i guess so. I am not perfect with this stuff. Mainly i am trying to remember things from 10 years ago when there were still ea81's in my side of the midwest. I haven't had an ea81 for some time.

I'm sorry that i was so mean in this post. I apologize.