Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.2 conversion failed emissions, no CEL, running fine

It runs great. I pulled a trailer to Denver and back to get a frig.  No CEL.  A friend took it up to Denver for a relative and it failed emissions.  I did tap into the IAC hose for the EGR pipe as the head could not be drilled.  95 2.2 with 155K on the engine and 320K on the car.

HC GPM 1.0038 - Limit 1.2000 Passed

CO GPM 41.6271 - Limit 15.0000 Failed

CO2 392.0529

NOx GPM 1.0090 - Limit 2.0000 Passed

Could the EGR Bypass be causing this?

Thanks, Larry

Usually with high NOx, there is a problem with the EGR, or catalytic converter, or high combustion temperature (overheating, running lean, vacuum leak).

A high CO reading is a restriction of air mixing with the fuel, check air filter, and sensors dealing with air fuel,  MAP OR MAF, o2, ECT, TPS.

Those numbers are pretty high, it would take more than just dumping 10oz of acetone in the tank to pass.

NOx passed, but I'll double check the EGR is opening.

The old DOHC engine the HG were completely gone, dumping coolant into the oil.  When I filled the radiator to get the car home, when I started it water shot out the radiator cap about 15 feet into the air.  First time I ever saw that.  I'm guessing the OP over heated it for a long time.  

I'll check the O2 sensor and see if the plugs look rich.  I do have a spare CAT I could put in if I need to.

Thanks, Larry

does the converter have 320k on it?

plugs and wires are good?

if Subaru's without EGR pass emissions...they aren't under less stringent thresholds right?  so that might suggest it shouldn't matter if everything else is golden.

if the midpipe gets swapped, sell it to me, i need a rust free one. lol

Edited by grossgary

As far as I know it's the original cat and my be the original O2 sensor.  New NGK plugs and good plug wires.  Might have a good mid pipe for you, but I have been welding them as they crack around the welded joint in the mid pipe.