Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couple Q's before swap

scruff

first off does it matter if the donar car is an auto tranny, it'll be going in to an 87 gl10t wagon with a d/r manual?

second if i was to send a harness to one of the few that strip them do you want it labeled or not and would you prefer it to be a complete uncut harness? third how long does it take to get one back ready for install? I have printed and read over numbchux's ea to ej swap and plan on continuen to, tell i can make this happen! any and all help will be very much appreciated and necessary!

If you are swapping a manual into an automatic car, then you will need the following along with the trans/flywheel/shifter as a whole:

you will need the longer bolts specific to the manual trans crossmember.

You will need at least the front half of the driveshaft to match the length of the manual trans

your turbo car has a 3.7 gear, so you will need a 3.9 rear dif for a non-turbo dual range trans.

You will have to defeat the inhibitor switch by either installing a pushbutton directly to the starter solenoid, or jumpering the 2 fattest wires in the leftover shifter console's pigtail harness. There are several ways to do this with hybriding trans harnesses (as you will also have to get the reverse lights working as well.

And of course, the adapter plate to mate the ej motor to the ea trans

no my bad not clear enough

i am wanting to leave my d/r in the car but am not sure if the donar car needs to be a manual for the ecu to work. ive found a couple possible donars but not sure if the tranny makes a diff. or if what year would be best for a newb

Donor car can be either manual or automatic.

PM me for details about harness striping service.

Send me an entire front harness, and ill send it back to you labeled and ready to install 3 wires to run, a few more to be complete all labeled.

Donor car can be either manual or automatic.

PM me for details about harness striping service.

Send me an entire front harness, and ill send it back to you labeled and ready to install 3 wires to run, a few more to be complete all labeled.

Dan (Gloyale) just did this for my swap.  I got it back quick and worked great.

rite-on, thanks for the help!

if anyone has any tips or experiences that may make this easier on me i always appreciate any help i can get!

i will continue to read as much on this site as i can, plus numbchuxs ea to ej write-up.

but any advise is way more than welcome!

plan on picking up donar car this week. plus get fly wheel taken care of.

and as far as a clutch (double checking) xt-6  24count spline for a 2.7L, any year?

contact Gloyale, wiring shipped then pull 1.8t

and adapter plate, am i missing anything else?

• 2 weeks later...

so since here last i purchased a donar its a 94 legacy with a 2.2 turbo in it. stoked to say the lest!

but that now bring up more Q`s before swap. i have to ask lots of qtions cause i get ahead of myself and it always cost money. so

the car runs, id say ok but hasent been drove in about 8 or 9 months i was told, but it fired rite up.

it idol jumped around a bit tell it started to warm up them smoothed out, for the most part, 

so my qtions: will the ECU and harness off this motor work on an ej22 n/a engine? so i can drive my car soon, then i can take my time to go thru and

check and have it check by someone who knows more than me, and get everything sealed and new on the engine that needs to be.

then swap it with a n/a without doing up 2 harnessess n ECUs? if that makes any since at all to anyone.

second q: i live in sw wash wondering if theres anybody recomended by you guys who know, to take the 22t to n have them check it

n help rebuild and upgrade a little that wont screw me over and wont cost an arm n leg?

my goal for this motor is to be a dd but also have some balls but reliability is my main concern!

i am leaning towards 205 heads and td04 posibly, then mostly stock after that.

its going into my 87 gl10t thats lifted with 27in swampers. i dont have a lot of money but don't mind spinding enough to get this into a DD that is RELIABLE and fun!

not sure if theres anymore qtions i should be asking at this point but as alway feel free to set me straight.

i am so stoked to get this going!!

• 1 month later...

im looking for someone to build or rebuild my lower end on a ej22t. need sugestions please (i live in south wet washington but will travel)

i would like to get it ready for head swap and more hp later but for now and hopefully a year or two run it with stock rebuit heads with mild pnp and add a td04 and tmic.

and see if my 5mt d/r will hold up for long enough for me to get the car ready as far as brakes, bushings, shocks..... ect....ect.. for more

o and save and figure out exactly what i want to do.

i would like to replace the pistons with forged ones and keep my cr as close as i can to where it is.

also new bearings, thinking acl

then new rods not sure if h or i beam or sti or what, more suggestions there would also be nice!

and im hoping to be able to leave the stock crank and balance everything.

once again this is going in to my 87 wagon with 4 in lift and 27 in swampers with steel rims so low end torque is more of a concern than top end for me.

that and reliabilaty

any and all help or criticism is wanted (and i am aware poeple don't dig the heads but there good for torq and i already own them)

im sure theres more but cant think this slow need to work on typing faster so i can get it all out!!

thanks for the help

scruff