Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stuck gas cap cover

Ok, I have a  '87 waggon , my son has it at college ( 2+ hours away) . He called to say the gas cap cover won't release. Any suggestions as how he can pop it open with damaging the metal ? I was hoping to get it home this weekend so I could look at it myself if he has enough  gas in it..... Thanks guys!

don't force it, see if you can pop the release with something thin from the outside. im not to sure of the desghin on that year, does it release from the inside or the outside, if its the release from the inside then you might have to have one person hold the release and another carefully pry on the door. i have seen them get sticky and not want to open before, you might want to try cleaning it a bit and lubing it up with some wd40

Edited by mikaleda

Yeah, I don't want to force it, and I don't recall what it looks like or how it is designed, I believe it is an inside release. I'm hoping he has enough gas to make it home! Thanks for the suggestion of holding the release open while another person gently pries  the door.

You should be able to pop it open with a butter knife or similar. It is just a plastic peg that holds it closed. slip the knife in there and it will push the peg in releasing the fuel door. The only thing you have to worry about is chipping the paint. wrap the knife in tape or a rag or similar.

once open see of the peg is moving freely or with the cable. You could wrap tape or sililar around the latch to keep it from locking again if the cable is shot.

• Like 1

Have your son try pushing the release down (since I'm assuming it's an EA82?) while a friend gently pushes IN on the cover. Sometimes the tension on the peg is enough to keep it from withdrawing.

After that, a painter's stirring stick and a little persuasion will do it. (Had ice seal it close one year... oy)