Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trailer towing and dreams of big fish

I have plans for a 16 foot wooden dory I'd like to build this winter.  The boat and trailer should weigh about 1200lbs.  The 96 Legacy 2.2 manual rates for max 2000K and 165lb tongue weight but I'd be drivng 150 mile round trips through some decent hills.  She's my baby and runs like a top so I don't want to kill her just to go fishing.  I can see going out about twenty times a season.

Love to know what you guys think.  Will I be killing the auto transmission etc.  Doesn't make sense if I'd be putting too much strain on my get to work car.

Thanks

ps.  Maybe I'll build her and have budies drag her around.

I've towed around 1500 lbs with my 2.5 OB 5MT a few times. I was surprised at how easily it pulled, even up to interstate speeds (60-70mph), but I didn't put on more than 100 miles.

If I were you I would invest in a trans cooler, and do some basic prep; coolant system and trans fluid replacement. I guess you shouldn't neglect brake condition either! :)

At 1200 out of 2000lbs max, I'd say that's a good comfort zone, I wouldn't want to go much higher (wet weight?) with the time + distance.

Trans cooler.. that's a good idea.  I will look into that. 

I was already thinking of droping the trani pan and changing the filter.  It's got 168K with one trani flush about 60K ago.  Fluid is still nice and red.  My only worry was messing something up that aint broke.

it'll move it fine from A to B.

the red flag to me is "20 times per year".  flatland maybe i'd think about it.

how sure are you of the 1,200 total load (battery, gas, trolling, gear, bait, water, people, 2 50 pound stripers)?  

i tow a lot of stuff, cars, trailers, and boats with Subarus, the largest is a boat with our H6 Outbacks..i've calculated it before but now i forget but it's at and probbaly over 2,000 pounds. it's too much but i do it once a year and some local trips a couple miles.  no idea if it's related but my front diff started making noises towing it during our vacation earlier this year...and recently let loose so i need a new trans at 220k. 

it's one thing if it's 10 miles or once a year.  20 times a year, it's not flat, etc, risk increases.  results will vary but more strain on the suspension, bushings, drivetrain, trans, front diff, fluids, cooling and braking systems.  safety is a concern.  that a vehicle tows great means little about how it handles in an emergency. sliding, car pulls out, slams on brakes, deer jumps in front, fishtailing...etc...the difference between max and half capacity will show itself.  at 20 times per year, consistently towing makes it hard to assume that will never happen.  i've had a heavy load push me after someone pulled out in front of me...i came a foot or two from plowing them but got lucky.

depends how long you want to keep the car too.  if you want another reliable 100,000 miles out of it then sounds like a bad idea.  if it's a beater and you don't drive many miles or care how many miles it goes then less of a concern.

all that said - it can do it, just be sure to not get lazy doing it 20 times a year and be vigillant.