Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New owner of a 1988 GL wagon!

Just got this girl with only 83k original miles! Picking her up from the shop tomorrow with new head gaskets, oil pan gasket, crank and cam seal, valve cover gaskets, new filters, and new spark plugs. stoked to drive, not stoked about the cost of all of this work right off the bat. I hope to learn a lot more about this car so that exorbitant shop bills can be a thing of the past!

post-39926-0-52819200-1377160630_thumb.jpg

Just got this girl with only 83k original miles! Picking her up from the shop tomorrow with new head gaskets, oil pan gasket, crank and cam seal, valve cover gaskets, new filters, and new spark plugs. stoked to drive, not stoked about the cost of all of this work right off the bat. I hope to learn a lot more about this car so that exorbitant shop bills can be a thing of the past!

I have found that the best investment I have made is in a Haynes manual;

$%28KGrHqR,!oUE63%28fpyCzBQCHI5vjJQ~~60_

I believe the library also has this available for checkout too.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Pretty nice. I have one just like yours, just been rode a lot harder. Lots of hard driving on her, never let me down. Paid $1300, only had to put in a blinker assembly, an alternator, radiator( was assaulted by a deer in east Oregon, one headlight still looks down a little bit) and tires of course. A/C don't work, but who needs a/c in the desert? You'll love her, these cars are easy to work on once you get used to them. And tougher than nails, just keep up on your basic maintenance and she'll treat you right.

Only way to learn is to dive in.  Every little hick-up is a chance to learn.  There is a learning curve with everything.  

Look for others in your area to work with and dive in, they aren't that hard to learn to work on when you have a great site like this.  Plan on any task to take longer than what you expect (twice as long) but you will get there.  

Nice 88...