Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car you buy high performance Subaru crate engines?

Just bought my sons 97 Impreza Outback Sport. It runs fine right now, and only has 106k miles, but I'm thinking ahead.

The car is almost rust free, and I really like it, so I was thinking of making it a little more fun when the time comes.

Not sure a Subaru was really meant to be a "speedy car".  But it has proved to be a reliable car - especially the 2.2 if left stock.

Some folks here install 2.5 heads on them.

I'm not sure if a tune is available.

I have a CAI and 2.5 heads if you're local and want to mess with the engine yourself.

Just bought my sons 97 Impreza Outback Sport. It runs fine right now, and only has 106k miles, but I'm thinking ahead.

The car is almost rust free, and I really like it, so I was thinking of making it a little more fun when the time comes.

I think the best approach would be to swap in a WRX or possibly an STI engine. check over at NASIOC for lots of info on stuff like that. But, even as is, some suspension and brake and tire upgrades could make the car a lot of fun to throw around the corners. Anything can be made faster with enough $$$ ,but, 'the Man' doesn't let you go too fast on his roads, he doesn't really care how flat you can turn corners though!

1817119818_3cbce14894_z.jpg

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

With only 106k miles you still have a LONG time to think. Change the timing belt, idlers, and water pump on time. Take care of oil seals and gaskets that like to leak. Keep up with regular oil and fluid changes and you'll get 300k out of that 2.2 with no trouble.

If you need some extra oomph in the meantime, get a set of delta torque grind cams.

Or put a 2.5 block in between the existing heads and manifolds. (Called a frankenmotor) That's usually good for another 30-40 horses.

There's also a the option for a turbo swap, but you'll be spending $$$$ on engine and drivetrain to handle turbo power.

With only 106k miles you still have a LONG time to think. Change the timing belt, idlers, and water pump on time. Take care of oil seals and gaskets that like to leak. Keep up with regular oil and fluid changes and you'll get 300k out of that 2.2 with no trouble.

If you need some extra oomph in the meantime, get a set of delta torque grind cams.

Or put a 2.5 block in between the existing heads and manifolds. (Called a frankenmotor) That's usually good for another 30-40 horses.

There's also a the option for a turbo swap, but you'll be spending $$$$ on engine and drivetrain to handle turbo power.

Bad water pump killed my 2.2 at 130k. :(