Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting the 79 wagon

bertmann73

You can extend the control arms and swap Gen2 suspension bits, or you can adapt the gen 2 crossmember and get full gen 2 suspension.With the Gen 2 crossmember a EJ22 and 5 speed DR are possible,with Gen1 crossmember the steering shafts tries to occupy the same space as the axle cups.

really? I'll take it if you want to give it away...

I may have to wait a bit before i let the carb go. My brother in law came across an 81 brat that has been taken apart an i don't know if i need it or not at this point.

Funny thing is he hates 4wd but loves brats. i am going to swap out the rear swing arms for the ones that came off my wagon and give it a 5 speed 2wd drive train. this will be an interesting build as it goes against my every fiber to make a 4wd 2wd. but if thats what he wants i will gladly accept the challenge.

I will post pics as soon as we go pick it up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Updates on the wagon. I got the 5 speed dual range installed with the ea81.

Modifications were made by cutting the cross member on the 5spd and welding this portion to the crossmember of the 4spd. I used the original shifter from the front wheel drive trans and modified it to clear the rear drive shaft. I used a 22 spline ea82 clutch plate inside the ea81 clutch assembly with ea82 throw out bearing. works great and clutch is soft as butter due to longer fork and shorter pedal ratio. had to adjust the pedal stopper all the way up.

starter is shimmed with standard ea71-81 head bolt washers due to thinner mounting on bell housing.

for now rear output is sealed..........dont laugh, but the battery cap from a full size mag flashlight fits in the seal like a glove with some help from RTV silicone.

transplant took all of one day and lots of fun.

for anyone planning this i recommend the getting following:

crossmember

shift linkage

22 spline  clutch plate 

throw out bearing

working on funding the driveshaft.

And now for my next trick.......swapping out the ea81 for an ej22

just picked up a 94 legacy cheap

so far it looks like im going to need to wyden the frame a bit by cutting and re- welding the sub frame 1/2" on each side.

I will need to re-mount the radiator 1/2" forward and be sure to include room for a/c condenser :D  :P  :headbang:

I will need to go through the wiring harness.... oh so slowly.. and label each wire and then toss anything not needed.

I will again need to mess around with clutch parts as soon as i get my hands on an ej22 flywheel courtesy of brother-in-law in mexicali.

I am getting older and just want some peace and the assurance of turn key ignition, a bit more power  and a better charging system.

I will be spending time in the late model forum but my home is still in the classic forum.... i promise

did i forget to mention air conditioning?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...