Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frankenmotor problem - dead cylinder - No compression #3

Block 97 EJ25D

Everthing else is 95 EJ22E

Cometic HGs

Delta Cams

Worked one night, but not the next morning.  It was running hot and probably detonated.  Has spark and gas but no compression.  I pulled the head and isn't apparently evident why there is no compression.  Exhaust valves are much darker on 3 than 1.

Zerocomp007_zps48206b21.jpg

Dry the head thoroughly.

Set the head with the exhaust ports up. and fill the exhaust chamber with brake clean, or mineral spirits, or carb cleaner or whatever.  Some thin solvent.

Watch the valve area (combustion chamber side) for any signs of leakage past the valves.

Leave it overnight, 90 percent of the liquid should still be there, and no signs of wetness past the valves.

If the exhaust pass, repeat for the intake valves.

If the valves pass, inspect the headgasket again for any signs it had failed and was no holding compression.  If that is good, then suspect the piston.

pull the engine, the seperator plate, and then pull the wrist pin and piston for #3.

Edited by Gloyale

Dry the head thoroughly.

Set the head with the exhaust ports up. and fill the exhaust chamber with brake clean, or mineral spirits, or carb cleaner or whatever.  Some thin solvent.

Watch the valve area (combustion chamber side) for any signs of leakage past the valves.

Leave it overnight, 90 percent of the liquid should still be there, and no signs of wetness past the valves.

You nailed it again!  It just started pouring out of the exhaust valves.  I wipe it dry and the combustion chamber is covered again in 15 or 20 seconds.  Looks bad enough to produce 0 compression, I would think.  Thanks again Dan.  I'll probably run out to pnp and grab a head tomorrow.  $50 w/o cam.  Hopefully I can get out of this pretty cheap.

So what, I just overheated those springs and they weakened and can't keep the valve closed anymore?