Ultimate Subaru Message Board

back on the wagon!

rrgrr

Well, I went to refill my coolant -the water pump feeder tube started leaking immediately. Pulled a/c & alternator out Again. Guess I need to go find a new O ring for that. Another mess, another day Not driving  :mad:  More wasted coolant. Not falling in love with the EA82. Never had these issues with my EA81'-s. Just saying I still don't think the minimal hp increase (or whatever the logic was)was worth adding a cam, timing belts, etc.

IMHO the EA81 was a pretty perfect motor. :horse:

• Like 1

Could always swap an EA81 into your car!

When I sold the convertible, Scott said He might swap an STI into it. He said I could have dibs on that EA81 motor, which was still under 100K miles! -I should call him!

• Like 1

Went and got a new O ring, and put everything back together, no drips. I did not use any rtv on it, cleaned out as much of the old as possible. Ran it up to temp for awhile w/the throttle zip tied to keep rpms up, filling coolant. Took it for a spin, everything seems ok, it's got a sort of whirr sound it didn't have before, but no ping.

I think there is a ding in my confidence about this motor that hopefully will fade in a few thousand miles. I especially like the paper included with my belts:post-33119-0-84959800-1403022730_thumb.jpg (Second paragraph) Yeah, just trashing new belts whenever they get a drip on them!

In case I haven't mentioned it, this is The AOSM motor, star of the swap vid, and it is Good (for an EA82 ;) ) Thanks again, Scott & Miles!

Indiana summer is really kicking in today, Hot & Humid, sweat in my eyes... Already missing freezing doing this work.

Here is a pic of the belt position with the new tensioner- I went with the one from the old motor.post-33119-0-29754200-1403023366_thumb.jpg

It still doesn't cover the shiny part, but it's all on there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Your going to have a brand new car pretty soon.

This is Way better than a new car to me!

Trying to get some leaks stopped, did the oil pan gasket, everything looked pretty good to me under there -correct me if you see something I don't -(besides the obvious undercoating)

DSC03258.jpg

I think vc's are next, still a little drippy.

I am actually kind of torn on fixing all that underspray which the LBC community refers to as "rust inhibitor" ;)

Also saw a little rust on the front subframe rails, so I POR-15'd the heck out of 'em...

Edited by rrgrr
  • Like 1

Awesome set up you have got going on.

This is nearly the exact car, minus the color 4X4 I started with back in 1995, had that car only 2 years till an inexperienced kid cut me off and just shredded the front passenger fender. Got $1200 towards the 96' Outback I had till 2007, which I'm kicking myself for ever letting go. 2 cars I wish I still had. . .oh well can't keep em all, SURE WOULD LIKE TO THOUGH.

Keep up the good work rrgrr.

• Like 1

Now for some fun stuff! 

Been messing with this radio dilemma for awhile...cassette adapters, transmitters, wires everywhere, noise... :(

Check this outDSC03276.jpg

This cheapie 7" tablet fits perfectly between the dash and shifter box, seated against the cubby. It easily slides in/out from either side and needs no adhesive. Has micro sd to hold plenty of music, maps, and I can stop a wifi spots when I need online!

After so much screwing around, I was going to do the Mighty Car Mods tablet install and call it a day, but it needed an amp, and sacrificed local radio, which is useful at times. But I came up with something that keeps the stock look and does it all. Searching around the forum, I found some ideas. First, I hacked the stock radio harness that connects the radio to the tape deck and wired in this switching plug to receive signal from an aux source:

swichplug.jpg

If I tune to 'quiet' frequency and turn the device voulme up, there is no significant noise. Worked well enough, but if I tried to charge it while the motor was running, it was crazy noisy...

I finally found this little ground loop eliminator and it did the trick! DSC03279-1.jpg

Here you can see I've glued the switchplug to the side of the radio, and everything stuffs into the space beside the radio. I am going to put a usb charging plug in there, too. Both wires route neatly between the dash sections.DSC03278.jpg

Also,my door speaker were crapped out so I tapped into the b pillar connection and put in these ancient Pioneer triax car boxes I've had forever - sounds pretty awesome! :headbang::banana:

Edited by rrgrr

rrgrr this is a great build! Nice work and persistance on your part.  My wagon is still original 569 brown with some close match donor panels here and there but my wagons paint overall is very tired.  I like the things you have done to your wagon, sorry to read about the accident but glad it worked out well for you.  I bought my wagon in 1995 from a new / used car dealer in North Denver.  They had it stickered at $4999....IIRC I got them down to $2450 and had the car looked over by Rick ( I think was his name and the owner) at CCR (Colorado Compenent Rebuilders) before I purchased it.  20 years later you get $2500 from the insurance....very very nice!!!  Nice work and thanks for taking the time to keep us updated and posting to USMB.  I'm going to follow this thread. 

Regarding the radio/cassette picture I posted to your WTB ad "Amber Alert".  All three 85 wagons I have cared for or pillaged were equiped with that same type of AM-FM Subaru cassette deck..please note with "Auto Reverse".  I have 2 of those same radios (and assorted other parts I have hoarded) but I do not know what color they emit once powered on.  I had a local stereo shop put in a "spacer" and a simple Pioneer CD player about 2 years ago.  I will post a pic here.  Cheers! Aaron

post-31763-0-80461000-1411244341_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So what color is the backlight on the unit you have in your dash?

That was not the unit that mine came with, it was more antiquated than that. I thought I might still have that unit, nope sure don't I'm thinking it was amber, long gone now though :(

I sure do miss that layout of dash and ect. Makes me very :( :( :(

Edited by Dinky26

So what color is the backlight on the unit you have in your dash?

That was not the unit that mine came with, it was more antiquated than that. I thought I might still have that unit, nope sure don't I'm thinking it was amber, long gone now though :(

I sure do miss that layout of dash and ect. Makes me very :( :( :(

This one is green -it really looks funny trying to be stock against the rest of my amber-lit dash. Please check out my parts  wanted thread:http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/148940-amber-alert/

For your noise aside from the ground loop eliminator check the little resistor on your coil to see if it is good.  Also upgrade the grounds or at least clean up the contacts from the battery to the block and body.  That is the number one cause of ground loop/ alternator noise.  Sorry I am still a stereo nut and old habits die hard.

MyKeys, thanks for the tip! I think the loop was occurring thru the radio amp somehow, -the switchplug made the radio slightly quieter left plugged in w/ no input. I tried adding a direct ground to the charger before, and some weird things were happening -and it was still noisy. The radio is good and quiet itself, so I guess the resistor is good, etc.

Months and many miles ago I did my weber swap, have been thinking it was not as peppy as it should be. Finally got someone to work the pedal while I watched the action, (mainly because my choke is being weird)...what I discovered was, I was hardly getting the secondary to open at all at full throttle. To get the whole carb working I had to change the whole linkage setup from the cable mount to the carb linkage- could not use the Hitachi hardware -replaced that with a cable clamp and some other bits, added a spring, and What a Difference! Can'really feel now where the second barrel kicks in now, by sound, too. Hope I can keep my foot out of it and get similar mpgs to what I've been getting! It's as if I added a gear-won't be struggling so much to hold speed on hills, or pass when necessary anymore.

Sweeeet! Glad to hear that.  Be nice know average city/ highway MPG from Hitachi vs, Weber.  Last two times I checked I was getting average 23 mpg highway both times I checked with my Hitachi set-up.  Also, I liked to know what HP increase you get from the Weber? Be well.  Aaron

• 11 months later...

Here's what I have done since last update-(besides a lot of miles)

In January I replaced the rear shocks, seems much better now -had to chase threads on one hole that got crossed somehow :angry: 

Changed a rear axle that came apart -I could hardly tell. Still chasing a chirpy sound at exactly 59 mph -guess it's either a unbalanced tire or a bearing.

Couple weeks ago I was swapping carbs and choke linkage, trying to get a working choke...the car started running really poorly -finally realized my fuel pump was not running. Went ahead and replaced it with one I had -still getting no power! Could not figure out the relay thingy and had to run a new keyed hot wire to it. Not a perfect solution.

Choke is working well now and tune is good.

Forgot to mention the time about a month ago, on the highway when I got up to 65 or so -the cruise control kicked in for no reason! It would not turn off by either pedal or switch! :o Luckily my exit was near and I could coast off. Stopped immediately and disconnected the vacuum ball. Still a mystery. 

Picture time -Finally got my cruddy old headliner out and recovered it with some tweedy fabric I found awhile back. It kind of matches the door panels/seats.

Check out this nasty thing -it was in worse condition than any part of the car somehow

0816151512.jpg

0816151512a.jpg

I'v never done this before, and it was about 95 degrees out -but it came out pretty good :) 

0907151543.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haven't had to do much lately, just watching the latest cv boot split again and spin grease all over again, (sigh)...My oil leak was really getting messy, so I went at the oil pan Again, chased the threads while I had it off, used Right Stuff -no gasket (Thank you to whomever recommended that!) 

Lo and behold it is dry now!! Finally after thinking I had exhaust leaking -it was dripping on the pipe,burning... :(

The downside is I noticed one of the bolts at the rear was not seated fully -and went ahead and broke that off trying to get it... :angry: ...Oh well it is not leaking and hopefully it will stay  that way.

Edited by rrgrr

I want to mention here Some of the forum members I am grateful to for shipping me goodies+++ to take care of my Ruby - :headbang::banana::burnout:

(in no particular order) 

john in KY

TheLoyale

Two85s

TomRhere

kybishop

Subafreak

thealleyboy

czny

xbeerd

Miles Fox

...of course there are many more...without the USMB we would all be perfect strangers :)

• Like 2