Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for a new wheeler, maybe

Scott in Bellingham

Its been a few years since I built myself a new Wheeler, think its time for another, my last one was a Impreza with a 6" lift and a dual range , I would like to take a  gen1 Legacy wagon and give it a bob , add a dual range and a rear straight axle, 30-33" tires, maybe shorten the wheelbase a bit, heres a photoshop chopped car I made up, if the rearend ratio was higher then the dualrange I could run bigger tires on the rear , maybe 30s up front, brace up those front A-arms cause there weeklings, trickys part would be the rear suspension

577840_1413263512232546_665705347_n.jpg

OK   more talk  ha ha

OK  if this happens heres some items I want to address

#1  Ive seen to many brocken rear axles and stub shafts, so the rear drive needs ditched for something stronger

#2  Ive bent to many front radius rods and a-arms so that needs redesigned to prevent brakeage and bending 

#3  I learned my lesson on blown headgaskets so a good cooling system  with a good Temp guage is a must

#4 a winch sure comes in handy

#5 I tend to smash the passenger side light and fender so a good protective bumper side bars are in order, maybe exo- cage  also

#6 I need room for 3 just in case the family comes along so 3 Buckets maybe

#7  rears to heavy and need a better deparcher angle so the rear gets bobbed

#8 Sliders should save my doors and rockers

#9 I want lower gears but I don't like the loss of center ground clearance you get with a Transfercase, but with a bunch or weight removed and

some Low Torx cams from Delta Cams it will be fine

#10   still to come

ever thought about useing the rear axle setup off pre 78 cars ? the doj type with u jionts look stronger

Subaru?  if so no I don't have anything like that  easy to get or replace, I did ponder using a Toyota front IFS as guys throw them away when thay do a SAS and on the road I could unlock the hubs, I do have a Toyota rear axle with a locker so I could go with that , I  already have 3.9 and 4.1 gears  for the yota , if I  went 3.9  that would match the front, if I went 4.1 I could run a 1-1/2 Dia difference so 30s on front 32s on the rear, 29 front 31s on the rear , now a local guy has a 4.30  3rd I could get then I could run 33s on the rear with 30s on the front that last option sounds good to me

whats the point with the different sizes tires?Big tires in the rear only tilt the body and your still limited by the front ground clearance/traction.

with the stock gearing and suspension of the transaxle and front body clearance a 30" tire is about the max on a EJ, if I go lower rear diff gears I can run a bigger rear tire which will give more ground clearance and a bigger tire footprint , so with a 33 on the rear that's 1-1/2" more clearance, and with a straight axle that's important as it has a nice large pumpkin hangin down, where the Subaru is smaller and tucked up with the independent axles, now all of this is in the idea stage so bring on the questions and concerns,with a 8" lift on front and a 6" lift at the rear it will sit level, heres my old wheeler I wore out, in the pic it has a brocken rear axle which prevented me going up the trail

WalkerNov034.jpg?t=1226810001

Edited by Scott in Bellingham

Alot of the mud boggers run diferent size tires becomes a pian unlock lock hubs even if your math is ecact need two diff size spares and be easyer to just find gears

Alot of mud boggers run different sized tires because it helps with steering especially with LARGE tires.Other than subarus and suzuki's most mudders are heavy  and cant turn with the front and rear locked.If however you run narrower tires in the front they tend to sink in more and act more like a rudder when turning helping the vehicle to turn better when all four wheels are locked.Some tires its easy to find a size that is the same height but narrower IE 31x10.50 vs 31x9.5 on the other hand a 44" super swamper is like 20" wide to to get measurably narrower you need to drop down to say a 38" or 40" super swamper.

Yes it is easier to find gears that will work with different sized tires,problem is subarus are limited by the 3.9 gear ratio in the transmission.Until a separate transfercase is installed your limited by the 3.9 in the transmission. The rear gear ratio can be easily changed by contrast hence the bigger tires in the rear,but wider tires in the rear is counter productive because  the rear end of most vehicles weighs less than the front end so a wider tire allows the rear end to float while the front "sinks",a better performing but dumb looking setup is wider tires in front to provide the needed floatation,and narrower tires in the rear to match the same contact PSI in the front.No one does that because it "looks" wrong so the best compromise is 4 tires the same size and width barring 4 equal tires causing it to not turn ...

Edited by Uberoo

looks like the yota rearends  a  go , thinkin  whats a good way to mount that thang in  there I know

4 link with coils is a good way to go, but this is  a High geared grocery getter with little flex up front,

would be cool to use the stock rear  shocks and maybe the mount,  yota leafs would be simple and

I have a set, didn't really want them hangen out the back, on my red sedan I went model T style

which was simple and lots o flex, I don't want that route this time,