Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej trans swap Qs?

TOI

right so i am currently parting out my 93 impreza wagon to donate its trans and the ej22T for a GL project that i would like to get on buying/building. i've read that with the xt6 xmembers and a impreza center i can run my ej trans. but will my shifter linkages and shifter still work in the GL? and does the impreza driveshaft bolt to the GL rear diff? it'll be a rwd project and i dont want to swap rear diffs unless its really a good idea and worth the extra trouble.

thanks

-ian

I found a small strap, I think from a parking brake cable and bolted it in to hold the end of the linkage. Like Rob said, you'll need to shorten the front half of the driveline 55mm. Easiest way to bolt it to the car is using XT6 5-speed front and rear transmission cross members and the EJ center section. This will only work if you have a late '87 and newer GL only build date will know for sure.

I found that my earlier built '87 GL coupe had a smaller transmission tunnel in it. The transmission fit fine however I had no direct bolt in crossmembers. I was in the middle of modifying a 3AT crossmember to bolt to the EJ center section when I came across my newest shell.

• Like 1