Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About to pull the engine and tranny out of my project 01' lego. The engine is shot in here so I'm going to pull that and the tranny out since it has 165,xxx miles on her and just rebuild them both at the same time, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good cheap basic tranny rebuild kit with just the seals and gasket and a cheap engine rebuild master kit. Thanks!

you get a better end product by picking the parts yourself. here's a list of what you need and the best parts to use for the heads up, i don't do short block rebuilds:

1.)  check into using the Subaru EJ25 turbo headgaskets - those don't leak like the original non-turbo EJ25 headgaskets.  folks have been using Turbo headgaskets on certain year non turbo EJ25's.   be sure to resurface the heads and add Subaru's coolant conditioner too.  there's an excellent thread by General Disorder on this forum about resurfacing the heads yourself, it's unbelievably easy once you source one easy to find piece.

EJ25's are prone to headgasket failure this is not a good part to ignore brand on.

2.)  the ebay timing belt kits are great - theimportexperts kits are good quality. get a complete kit with timing belt, tensioner, 3 pulleys, and water pump.

3.)  2 cams seals, crank seal and oil pump oring.  theimportexperts will even add them to your kit if you call.

tighten the oil pump backing plate screws with locktite on the threads, more than one are likely to be loose, common.

4.)  Use Subaru water pump gaskets (aftermarkets are flimsy cheap cardboard, subaru's are metal and require no sealant), and thermostats - though the new XACTA thermostats look identical to Subaru's, as well as Subaru's coolant conditioner.

5.)  valve cover gasket sets (which include valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets)

6.)  Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, and thermostat gasket (if the thermo doesn't come with it, i forget)

that is everything you need for a complete reseal (short block not included) unless you're doing valve stem seals, then add those.  and simple ancillary stuff like hoses, spark plugs, etc.

adjust the valves when assembling.

never heard of someone rebuilding a Subaru transmission.  if it currently has no issues i'd change the fluids and expect another 100,000 miles out of it.

The transmission rebuild kits I use are pretty close to $600 and the 2-4 brake hub part is not included in that.  Then the torque converter rebuild is a minimum of $100 on top of that.  For that amount most people go with a used one....so like Gary said if yours ain't broke don't "fix" it.