Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jonesing over one of them Vanagon 2.5 conversions...

I've been digging throug the websites on those and that looks like one slick package. I've long considered picking up one of those Toyota vans that share a similar profile to the Vanagon because I'm something of a Toyota believer, but seeing how slick the Subaru engine fits in the VW van has sort've changed my mind.

So, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an '80's Westfalia in need of an engine. Anybody on the board have one of these beasts? (I know at least one hangs out around here...)

Figured I wasn't alone. I don't know, I might go for the 2.2 when the time comes though, because A. it's cheaper and B. I have a phobia about interference engines (as I have snapped the belt on a Camry that would've required buying another car if it was an interference engine, which thankfully the 3s-fe isn't) I didn't know the 2.5 was an interference engine until I poked around the new-gen board. Fox with his open-cover EA82's makes a timing belt job sound as serious as an oil change...

Managed to check out an '84 Vanagon at the Jefferson Swap Meets today. Not a Westy, so not what I'm looking for, but MAN is that a comfortable driving position. I could hang out all day behind the wheel of one of those suckers. It's like having the world directly projected in front of you. I could probably get the number if any of you are interested; it was a graphite blue color and in fairly decent shape for $1900 (steep by my book...but I'm a cheapass...)