Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing 2.5 DOHC for 2.2 SOHC engine in 1999 Subaru Outback

it's all plug and play - there's nothing special about it (well unless there's something we don't know, i have to assume some things since you don't tell us what kind of EJ22).  there's nothing "swap related" that should be causing this - there is something wrong with the installation (don't tell him that, i just can't think of a better way to say it on the fly) - like a bad ground or plug disconnected, etc.

any Check engine light?

read the check engine codes with a scanner - what comes up?

was the timing belt/engine tested or is this a used/unknown engine?

check all plugs, MAF, cam sensor, crank sensor, igniter, and ground wires.

exactly which EJ22 did he use - year, make model?

There is no such thing as a 1999 Legacy Outback with an EJ22. I am assuming that it's just an engine from a 1999 Legacy.

If the engine you have is an EJ222 (phase 2), I believe that they are not plug and play with the EJ25d that was in your Outback. It sounds like your mechanic should have chosen an engine to swap in that was a model year older. That would have completely eliminated having to modify the wiring harness to get it to run.

If he had to splice wires he did it wrong.   Have him pull the engine, pull the heads, install 1994-1995 heads on the shortblock and use the intake from a 1995 to correct it.  That would be the perfect solution as its 8 bolt case.  Be sure he uses the older head gaskets as well (1995 EJ22).  

I can get a 97 2.2, so that would be plug and go?

yes, but:

1. any 1996-2001 EJ22 will also require the exhaust manifold - it's single port.  it bolts right up.  those can be hard to get as yards often wont' sell them.

2. if it doesn't have EGR it'll have a check engine light.  will install and run fine, but if your state requires emissions you may have issues.  that being said there is a simple work around to that issue posted here, familiarize yourself with it.

1995 automatic EJ22's are direct plug and play swap, have EGR, and have dual port exhausts.

1995 manuals have dual port exhausts but not EGR - need the EGR work around.

1996-1998 EJ22's need the exhaust manifold and EGR varies with no known indicator to know whether it has it or not- just have to look with your eyes.  but someone did find a workaround and posted it here, so that's not a big deal if that works.  i haven't done it yet.

Over your heads yikes never ever cut any wires on engine harness can O worms the 99 harnes and intake is not the same the ealy 99 engine uses a idle motor that uses the signal from #1 injector without it no injector pulse on cly 1. I use a single cam engine with that harness but idle motor passage had to be welded up and idle motor had to be pluged in not hooked up. and had to use engine harness from the 99 ej25d and coil pack. It can be made to work but you better know what your doing !