Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale making bad sounds...

Drove over 600 miles this weekend on my Loyale (92, spfi, FWD Sedan). Noticed when accelerating I got a sort of scratching noise, when I let off the gas it died down. Then when I got back near home I stopped at the store. When I came back out ot the car, I put it in gear and as soon as I let out theclutch from a stop, I hear almost a cymbal like sound as if two pieces of metal are being tapped together and the make a sound.

I suspect my throwout bearing has thrown up. Any other ideas? Just got back from the WCSS site with it yesterday. If I cannot get it fixed it will be me driving the Dodge Ram down to WCSS. The Throwout bearing was replaced 33K ago (about 5 years) when I had the engine out and put in a clutch and did the reseal.

whoops missed that then the springs inside the clutch disck are getting loose and rattling

That could be. Northwest and JJ421 came over and I could not reproduce the ping. It would do the scratchy noise accelerating from 1700 to 2300 RPM in third. At any rate Northwet was sure it wasn't driveline noise.

One of the cleanest, smoothest running EA82-series that I have been in. 

It was hard for either the OP or me to reproduce any noises, and even when he did I had to listen carefully (quieter than the sound of the heater blower on high) and I could not feel any accompanying vibrations.  My best guess is a resonant noise (as opposed to physical contact), either intake/exhaust flow or something loose vibrating.

I had this same noise in my EA82 sedan. Turned out to be the header heatshield bushings (the small, half-moon pieces that isolate the pipe and the heatshield) had rusted and whenever the engine was under load, they would rattle like someone going nuts on a triangle. Wouldn't do it at idle, nor at high RPM under load. Only between 600 and 2000 RPM under load (in gear, taking off, ect). Drove me nuts until i just went under there and using the palm of my hand, bumped all the components until i got it to rattle.

I took off the heatshields (and welded up a small hole that the bushing had caused) and it's had zero problems for 10 months and 12K miles.

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge

One of the cleanest, smoothest running EA82-series that I have been in. 

It was hard for either the OP or me to reproduce any noises, and even when he did I had to listen carefully (quieter than the sound of the heater blower on high) and I could not feel any accompanying vibrations.  My best guess is a resonant noise (as opposed to physical contact), either intake/exhaust flow or something loose vibrating.

Once again thank you so much for coming over and putting my mind at ease. It performed wonderfully during the WCSS trip. I really didn't want to be the one breaking down since I was the lead car.  And if you ever temporarily need "some concrete" to put that tranmission in - you know where I live.