Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR Wheeler Build 90 Legacy Wagon 2013

Scott in Bellingham

Interested in see how these turn out. Let me know if you need someone to test them.  ;)

or you could beef it up and have a tie down failure. :blink:

will do

got some new rear meats,I had some mismatched tires now I have some 33 1250 BFGs   1/2 tread, its got me excited about workin on it again, will be buyin some tubing for the exo-cage sliders and such, need to get a wood stove for the shop as its been cold out there

Edited by Scott in Bellingham

i apologize if this has already been addressed but... this is still only fwd, correct? because with different gear ratios and different tires sizes front and rear i would think it would just tear itself apart!

Did you even read through the whole thread?  Its defnitely 4WD otherwise what would be the point of building an offroad rig like this.  The reason it works is because he accounted for the different gear ratios by matching the tires making them spin at pretty much the same speed.  This is not the first time Scott has done this.

Yes i read the whole thread and theres no call to get snappy bud ;) and also yeeesss i realize its an offroad vehicle (pretty hard to miss, skipp), i just wondered if perhaps he was planning on putting larger tires on the front and swapping the rear ratio to match that. Pretty much the same speed can still be off enough to break you pretty easy. Oh its not his first time? Huh couldn't tell by his 3,526 posts! Just ribbing ya :)

Yes i read the whole thread and theres no call to get snappy bud ;) and also yeeesss i realize its an offroad vehicle (pretty hard to miss, skipp), i just wondered if perhaps he was planning on putting larger tires on the front and swapping the rear ratio to match that. Pretty much the same speed can still be off enough to break you pretty easy. Oh its not his first time? Huh couldn't tell by his 3,526 posts! Just ribbing ya :)

thanks Rusty for your interest.  its a dualrange so FWD  on the pavement, true 4X4 in the dirt and mud, I did the math and with these ratios and tires sizes where good, and it works fine offroad, I wont be changing the front as Im going to run stock Subaru components and that doesn't lend to low front gears 

Okay thank you! Thats what i was wondering :) also i had a question, not to thread jack but does anybody have experience with welding the rear diff on an older sube? How does a welded rear diff handle on pavement in fwd?

Pretty much our whole group runs welded rear diffs in an array of different tires sizes.  Everything from 27x8.50 up to 31x10.50. Its pretty easy to do and It helps a ton offroad but is definitely noticeable on the street.  Even in FWD the tires are still locked together and you can feel them drag and bind.  It will wear your axles out a little faster but you can just pull one for street use.  I daily drove mine with 27" tires and welded diff, only broke one axle and it wore the rear tires faster then the front.  Even now with my 235/75/15s i don't bother pulling an axle, but I also don't daily drive it.

Okay thank you! Thats what i was wondering :) also i had a question, not to thread jack but does anybody have experience with welding the rear diff on an older sube? How does a welded rear diff handle on pavement in fwd?

Thread jack...

But yes welding rear diff is commonly done.  It will make tight turns difficult and tires will chirp even in FWD on pavement.

I personally feel driving with the welded diff in all the time weakens stub axles and CV cups.......most who do that have broken many diff stubs.  But many people do it and it works O.K. for a while.

I run a welded diff on my wheeler but I pull one rear axle until I get to the trail so never any stress on the highway.

We now return to Scott's thread.

Third Thread Jack...

If I am running a welded diff and I pull one axle for street use, could I potentially run it in 3 wheel drive on the street without any breakage?

yes, provided that the road is slick enough to allow different speeds between front and rear. its 4wd,not awd.

Third Thread Jack...

If I am running a welded diff and I pull one axle for street use, could I potentially run it in 3 wheel drive on the street without any breakage?

No.  Not on the street.

The one rear wheel with the axle still would be trying to roll a shorter path in turns than the front wheels.

yes, provided that the road is slick enough to allow different speeds between front and rear. its 4wd,not awd.

The road would have to be VERY slick.  I wouldn't do it at all.