Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Body work: removing fender/quarterpanels

Hey all.

I was in a minor highway accident yesterday in my EA82. Nobody was hurt, and it was rather low speed, but I've bent my front left quarterpanel up and bent the valence under the bumper. The bumper itself is shifted to one side but it looks okay. I didn't even crack a headlight. However, it leaked coolant immediately after the collision, leading me to believe that the radiator took some damage. I assume this is from the valence under the bumper coming into contact with the radiator, and hopefully NOT from the center support.

But on to my real question: I found a good fender/quarterpanel at a pick n' pull nearby, but didn't have the tools necessary to remove it with me at the time. What size are the bolts used to attach it this piece, and does anybody have a good writeup on replacing body panels? This will be my first wrenching on this car and I'm hoping for some guidance.

Thanks!

edited to add tags

Edited by thesmith

Hope that no one was hurt.

If memory serves corrrectly it is a 10mm head, and there are three at the door, six across the top/under hood, two behind the bumper, three on the lower valence. Remove the marker lamp assembly since it attaches to tje fender with a screw on the side. The thin strip above the bumper under the head lights and grill has two bolts on each side; take the horns off.

Easiest to start by removing the bumper.

Before you go to the JY, take the parts of of your car first. That way you will have a better idea of what size and how many fasteners are holding everything together. You will also know how extensive the damage really is and what you need to get from the JY.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I've taken the wagon to a local body shop to do the disassembly and inspection. I'm hoping it won't need a pull on the radiator support. The technician there told me to hold off on buying parts for a couple days until he can determine the extent of the damage.

On the bright side, my radiator itself may not be damaged! looks like it may just be a kinked/partially disconnected hose... fingers crossed!

Some of the valence bolts may be 12mm depending on year. The rest are 10mm.

Remove the bumper if you want to get the fenders off as it will be in the way. The bumper is held on by 17mm bolts, located under the battery tray and the charcoal can thru holes in the side of the frame rail. 

Some of the valence bolts may be 12mm depending on year. The rest are 10mm.

Remove the bumper if you want to get the fenders off as it will be in the way. The bumper is held on by 17mm bolts, located under the battery tray and the charcoal can thru holes in the side of the frame rail. 

Fender bolts are all 10mm, all years.  Early years have valence bolts with shallow heads but still 10mm

Bumper bolts are 14mm.  Don't forget to disconnect the wires for the turnsignals before pulling out bumper.

Edited by Gloyale