Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88' GL-10t project!

Hey there ladies (who am I kidding) and gents! Last week I picked up a nice little subie at a nice little price ($300) and now that I've given it a once over I think I'm going to be building it up a bit.

For a little more background on the car,

It's an 88 GL-10t model with the EA82 turbo engine. There's only 97k miles on the odo and the car is mechanically in great shape. Unfortunately it was rear ended, so now I'm looking for a rear hatch, rear bumper, and left and right tail light assemblies; as well as front blinker lenses (if anybody has a parts car now would be the time to introduce yourself!)

I plan on lifting the wagon, doing a 6 lug mod, and running larger wheels/tires. Car came without a muffler (but it's more hip to say 'muffler delete') so I guess I'll just being going with a straight pipe as I kind of like the exhaust more.

Further down the line I have access to a 2.2 n/a motor that was pulled from a 93 legacy at about 110k. Engine swap anyone?

So does anyone have any questions/comments about the car? I'll be editing in pictures slowly, my p.c. recently took a crap so I'm doing everything via mobile.

• Like 1

CAM00129.jpg here's a picture of the engine bay. Pretty clean if I do say so myself. I've been told these engines eat gaskets like crazy, so I guess my first project is gonna be swapping them out to give myself some headroom for higher boost and other modifications. Anyone else have any suggestions as to where I should get started? I'm planning on building a nice little offroad capable sleeper at about 150+ HP, nothing crazy.

150 hp is pretty lofty goal.  they have 115 stock and can barely hold themselves toghether in that form.  Up the boost and you'll be drinking coolant quickly.  The heads crack into the exhaust port.

If it runs well now, keep it stock and save your money up for the EJ22 swap.

Dropping money into the EA82t is kinduv a waste.  Do the minimum to keep it reliable (coolant hoses, timing belts, etc..) but don't try to "upgrade" it.  You'll spend money to have your engine crap out sooner.

Drop in the EJ22 or even better a "frankenmotor" 2.5 block with the 2.2 heads and ECU and you'll be reliably at 150hp with no turbo.

Yeah do a quick search on the ea82t on here and you'll see what we're talking about. They can't take any more boost. The best thing you can do is throw in an intercooler and put a high capacity radiator. Maybe put an oil cooler in. Keep the motor stock. Spend money on the swap!

Well that's kinda crappy to find out, but I have an OEM intercooler from an '03 WRX, soon thats one of the first thing's i'll do. Afte can be top, or front mounted so I'm going to mount it under the front bumper. Any suggestions on a good lift height? I'm probably going to be running LT class tires so nothing bigger than 15's, I was.thinking probably 2" or so should be fine.

Edited by GL10-T guy
  • Like 1

2 inch won't require any modifications but you may or may not tear through cv axles. I say may or may not because some people do have issues but the again some people don't. If you drop the crossmember and the diff you can avoid that entirely but it's a bit more work. Check out the off-road section of the forums for good info

since he's got the turbo crossmember already, why not a EJ20G? Yes, it's been done, but for 200 horse in stock form? Yes please... and they can be had relatively cheaply (usually come in some form of kit or swap setup with a trans and/or ECU..) Or piece a turbo setup together for a 2.2 or a 1.8 (those things LOVE to be turbo'd)

Well to be honest, I have an ej engine available, but the 1.8t is definitely sufficient as far as power goes. I was hoping to squeeze a little bit more out of the low end cause I feel it's kinda wimpy below 4.5k rpm, but that's the name of game with just about any turbo 4 banger, so I guess it will be built for durability. Another question for the masters, is there any possible way that I could mount the intercooler say in the spare tire bay, and cut a scoop into the hood? Has anyone attempted this? I plan on going over fairly rough terrain (think river beds and PNW mountains) so I feel even with a lift and beefier tires I may bash my front mount intercooler on a rock etc. And finally, that would be more friendly to a mod I've always wanted to do and try out... The SNORKEL! I'm adding a picture of the reason I'm heading down to pick and pull on Monday... CAM00120.jpg

Hopefully I can get ahold of a new rear hatch and bumper... Preferably one without all the stupid stickers.

Edited by GL10-T guy
  • Like 1

No I'm pretty sure I already said it was rear ended. It's ugly, I know. And it's gonna be a hassle to fix, I know, (honestly considering cutting off a 18 inch long section of the floor pan and welding.in a straight section from a donor)but parts are available and the car was 300 freaking dollars. Besides, It'll just be that much more rewarding when I finish it.

Edited by GL10-T guy
  • Like 1