Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I put a '95 2.2 into a 2000 that originally had a 2.5?

[iGNORE THIS POST!!!]

Hey all.

I found a 2000 legacy that has a bad 2.5 engine. The guy says the shop they took it to

sent it to a machine shop, and they said it has a spun bearing. But whatever, the engine is no longer in the car,

don't know yet if it's even still available. Both cars, my present one and the one i'm looking at, are automatics.

But I was wondering if it would be a big deal matchingwise to put the 2.2 from my 95 Legacy into this other car?

My car is pretty much to the point where I don't want to put any more money into it, but I did have the engine

serviced noit too long ago with timing belt etc and it is the one thing, other than the trans, that still has no

problems on the car, other than an oil leak i have yet to track down.

Is this a possible switch with not too much trouble?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Edited by 1997reduxe

On second thought, by now I'vge had a little time to search around and found out what a big hassle this would be.

Cancelling my request for info.

Will look for a similar engine to the one in the car if I do buy it.

Thanks a lot anyways.

Dan

Yea, you have read correctly. The 95 is gen 1, while the 2000 is gen 2, so it is a concompatible match. Do a search here. I have read what gen 2 model years will fit your car's wiring harness on posts here.