Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone posted a bit ago that Armorall was dashboard herion for cars - in that once you started using it, you can never stop. LOL Add the sun's heat and UV and its like fryin bacon. None for me thanks. r/PK

I have used turle wax 2003 (i think its 2003...) and I love it. I have used it for six years on my 92 legacy wagon and all of the plastic parts and dash look like they are showroom. I dont really like armoral (sp?) or thier wipes. They leave lint all over the place and it seems like you have to wipe down your interior twice a day to keep it looking nice.

Amoral is evil but I don't know about Armorall. :)

Coud'nt resist.

Enjoy your new ride, you're a lucky one.

I think people here prefer 303 and despise Armorall.

People in glass houses don't throw stones :) It's "couldn't", the contracted form of "could not".

Myles,

(1) I think we can put that down as a slip of the keyboar at the end of a hard week. ;)

(2) I don't see where I was even metaphorically «trowing a stone»... I was not making fun of the poster in any way, just trying to make a play with words.

(3) And finally, I think I'm not doing so bad for a «frenchman» from Quebec. :-p

That said, I'm open to any assistance one is willing to give me to perfect my english. Right now this board is the only occasion I have to use the english language.

Au revoir!

In answer to "Is Armorall evil?"

NO! Just misunderstood.

Let me explain and maybe shed some light...

I've heard the cautions and rumors about Armorall.

In >25 years use, I've found them to be largely unfounded. Most of the issue is from those with fading or cracking (dry rot) or other issues they've tried to resolve with Armorall and it WILL HELP with these issues, however, the issues are still there, just "covered" by the protective coating of Armorall. Thus when they cease to regularly use the Armorall, the issues become obvious once again and usually multiplied because once dry rot and other things start, they cannot be reversed and they continue even though "covered". If they have been covered for a while, also, when they return due to disuse of the protectant the area seems worse than ever due largely to perception.

Armorall brand and Son of A Gun brand use diltued silicone as the main ingredient. Silicone is a water-based lubricant and when used at the proper dilution rate, leaves a very light protective coating (as advertised) and a 'Shine'. The other brands, Turtle Wax 2000 and others including generics, have the same Silicone base but are much more dilute. They have less silicone and more water (usually) or other dilute to 'thin down' the mixture.

That's why some of the generics don't leave as much "shine" as the name brand.

I also have a formula you might not be aware of that will save a little cash.

If you have used and like "RainX" (I do and we used it in the Army on our helicopter windshields) you can make your own....just be sure to NOT make the mixture with MORE Armorall than called for...too much will leave streaking and make a mess. Too much and your window or windshield will streak like you have WD-40, wax, or car-wash 'polish' on it...because that's what the silicone does. This is one case where a little goes a long way and too much spoils the pot.

"RainX"

You need a spray bottle, Armorall, and water.

Mix the Armorall and water to a mixture of NO GREATER THAN 1 part Armorall to 10 parts Water. (You can add some rubbing alcohol to the mixture, if you like...up to maybe 1/4 as much alcohol added as is in the water and Armorall.The alcohol not only helps in the emulsification and dilution but helps the mixture evaporation rate when sprayed). I say again (cannot stress enough!) no more Armorall than the 10:1 ratio of Water to Armorall, then add the alcohol (if desired) to the mixture.

Add the mixture to the spray bottle. Spray on the window, windshield, mirror, or other glass and wipe with a lint free cloth. A haze will develop, keep wiping until the glass is clear.

This not only works great for wiper free water sprays or rain on the windshield, but is a great glass polish for car shows, etc. Use it inside and out and you won't believe how "clear" the glass is.

That's a lot for 2 cents worth but maybe it will help.

HbL

:banana:

Anyone who says that Armor-All has cracked their dash is driving a poorly-made car.

I have used Armor-All to clean my interior, other people's interiors, and have never seen one crack from it, ever. And I live in Florida, for Pete's sake!

And no it's not heroine: I use it very sparingly. I have not Armor-Alled my dash in months, and it still looks great, aside from being a bit dusty.

I dont like amorall simply because it contains silicone, when the silicone dries it tends to shrink your dash and you will see cracks appear, there are plenty of silicone-free interior protectants out there.

Mothers is in my opinion the best by far, i love it and use nothing else, does a great job (dont spray directly onto interior, use a lint free cloth).

i think the fact that your trying to do something about preserving the interior is more important than the product you use. some people use amorall and have no problems, as long as your lookin after the car youll be fine.

And a bottle of any interior protectant will stretch a LOOOONG way if you use it right, so whatever you have to pay to get good stuff, over the course of 6months to a year, its pretty cheap.

303. find the seal rejuvinating post and follow the links from there. free sample mailed to you;) cant go wrong.
I tried the search function but am having trouble finding that thread. Can you provide a little more information? What is the full name of the product (303)?

Thanks!

K9Leader

Update:

Okay, I googled a little and found the web site: http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

I agree those armorall wipes make a mess, and armorall in general makes your dash look shiny but its got a greasy look and feel to it. I dont like it.

personally i use a damp cloth, and that has worked well for me. but i guess it doesnt protect. so maybe dont take that advice.

and for polish make sure to read the label for how often it has to be reapplied, that will give you a good idea of the hardness of it. though if you plan on polishing it a lot go ahead and get a lighter wax and use a car soap that takes wax off, because if you use the harder stuff and you wax on top of wax after a while it will be too thick and end up cloudy.

Also with wax you dont always get what you pay for, i think Mothers Polish is crap. .

My opinion:

I don't like the greasiness of Armorall. It seems to catch and hold all the dust instead of repelling it. A drive on a spring day with the windows open and your whole dash turns green with pollen. I prefer using Vinylex (by Lexol). It's a whole lot less greasy and makes the dash look like satin-finish new from the factory. Armorall's shine bugs me to when you're driving and the sun reflects off of it and you get a lot of glare, reducing visibility. I buy Vinylx at the local PepBoys.

K9Leader:

Here is the thread you wanted:

~Howard

:banana:

I tried the search function but am having trouble finding that thread. Can you provide a little more information? What is the full name of the product (303)?

Thanks!

K9Leader

Update:

Okay, I googled a little and found the web site: http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

• 4 years later...

i work for a autobody supply shop, and yes armorall is bad. it's mostly silicone so over time if you quit using it your plastic/ leather and vinyl interior parts will crack (plus it stays greasy) my best advice would be to go to a jobber store that sells automotive paint and supplies and get a "body shop safe" product ( my personal favorite is 3m's vinyl and leather cleaner and conditioner ):)

Armorall is an absolute "no..no" in any of my vehicles. I have worked in 3 different automotive restoration shops over the years and in each one the stuff was banned from the shop. Forget about what it may or may not do to your dash and various interior panels. The real nightmare turns up as fisheyes in the paint of freshly painted cars. I've seen several cars needing a complete stripping and repaint because the owner didn't tell the shop that they used armorall on their interiors. The paint fisheyed right in the spray booth. If forwarned about its useage (which almost never happens) the painter could have prepped the paint with a fisheye remover before he painted the car.