Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 or SPFI EA81?

Numbchux

So, I have everything I need to do an EJ18 swap into my Brat (that's getting the 4.444 D/R project trans).

A friend of mine has a '92 Loyale in good shape that he's offering to sell me for cheap.

I hate EA82s, so I'm thinking that will come out, but I don't really want to source and buy another EJ swap.

So I'm thinking, put the EJ18 in the Loyale, with my adapter and the S/R PT4WD trans would make for a sweet, fuel-efficient DD.

Then put the SPFI stuff on the low mileage jdm EA81 block that came with my brat, and put it in there with my 4.444 trans (EA82 front bellhousing, should bolt right to the EA81 block). That would be a sweet, reliable combination, great for the trails.

Thoughts? Also, my main question is how difficult it would be to take the stock loyale harness out, and split it into 2 functioning harnesses, one that could still run the loyale with the EJ swap, and the other for engine controls with the SPFI. Or would it be worth my dollars to source (ugh) a second loyale harness for one or the other.

unless you are looking for economy,

for the same work you can install an ej22 with 135 HP.

on the other hand, if you have a free ej18, why not.

but what are you going to gain?

what ids wrong with the engine in the loyale now?

The loyale would be solely for a DD. So as long as it isn't slower than my 1.6l auto trans Celica, I'm ok with that. I've done several 2.2 swaps, so I know the potential. I have a 2.2 harness (1.8 doesn't have a knock sensor), so a 2.2 swap would be plug and play.

What's wrong with the loyale engine? it's an EA82. As I mentioned, I hate them. And it will come out if I buy the car.

Why not make the ea82 car have the ea81 engine and put the ej18 in the brat.  The brat will be great and you know that already.  The SPFI ea81 isn't half bad-I have done 2 of them now and they are a little gutless but they sure are reliable. 

That's an interesting idea, and would be easier to do, as it would be almost no wiring in the loyale. The simplicity of SPFI and pushrods is much more appealing in an offroad rig, but the EJ18 would definitely have more oomph.

Looking back on my lifted EA82 rigs, I very rarely wished that they had more power. My wishes were lockers, gears, and suspension travel. I've addressed all 3 (sort of, the gearing difference will mostly be noticeable in high range...) with this rig. 

I can honestly say I think the ej18 EFI is really about equal in simplicity but as you mentioned you wouldn't have to rewire 2 cars-just one.  

You said very rarely you wished for more power but honestly it is sure easier to have more than too little in an off road rig.  

You don't need an adapter to use the PT4wd trans in with the EJ18.  Put the guts and tailsection into an EJ trans front case and use an EJ flywheel and clutch.

Can't do that with the D/R though.......single range EJ case has no fitting for Low range set.

So from a trans use standpoint, and no needing to source any adapters or redrill flywheels, this would be a good plan.

It would be easier to have a seperate SPFI harness to swap to the brat though...........pulling it from the loyale harness and then still needing to use that harness in the loyale for lights, radio, etc. could be a real pain.

If its all the same to you I would go with EJ stuff in an offroader for one reason-electron distributorless ignition. With a SPFI EA81 the distributor is right at the front of the engine,I can't count the number of times I splashed it offroad and had to be towed out of a mud hole.By contrast the EJ stuff uses magnetic sensors that will keep the engine running even with them under water.Mine did numerous times...

cool chux!

maybe put the engine you like the most in the car you enjoy the most (the brat?)?

who cares what engine the loyale has as long as it does what you need?

uberoo seems wise...which engine will be most robust offroading?

i carry people, gear, and tow often...i'd want the EJ18 in whichever vehicle will be hauling more weight.

or if miles/condition of engines differ substantially - maybe put the "worst" engine in the brat if you won't use it much or put many miles on it or have reliability concerns with the daily driver.

i've wanted to put an EJ18 in an XT for a long time, Huck says it could be a combination for some excellent gas mileage.  curious what that loyale would do.

EJ18's were cheap as dirt a few years ago, zero demand, might be able to sell the EA81 (and EA82) for the same cost as an EJ18 if having the same motor/wiring in both was any aid. mine had 80 or 100k and was only $150 already pulled with a warranty off www.car-parts.com, i've put 60,000 on it so far.