Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having an issue with my 95 legacy.  It will start, and have a rough inconsistent idle, and will stall out when the accelerator is compressed.  I have recently replaced the fuel pump, spark-plugs, and the mass-airflow sensor.  Wondering if anyone has an idea what the issues could be.

how old are the plug wires? originals? cheap aftermarkets? 95 shouldnt be too terribly fussy about them, but you definitely want a good quality set of wires, like the NGK brand...

what kind of spark plugs? were they gapped properly? Standard NGK plugs (no need for fancy platinums or anything like that - those are just a waste of money) gapped to .039-.040"

as Olnick suggested:

CTS (the 2 wire sensor for the ECU, not the 1 wire for the guage) could be a suspect.

IACV - do not try to "adjust" it - just clean it. They can get carboned up after years of use and not function properly...

Not knowing any details this is just a wild guess--but check out the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor).  Maybe clean the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) too.  And replace the PCV while you're there.

Good luck--and welcome to USMB!

If the ECTS is bad, it will throw a Check Engine Light. That is what happened on my 95, 2.2 motor. Very quickly, it went from CEL to not starting at all.

The broader question is do you have a CEL??

• Like 1

I didn't gap the plugs.   The shop that diagnosed the MAF said the wires look fine.  I will check the ECTS.  The check engine light is on.  Also the AT oil Temp is flashing when it starts.  Forgot to mention that.  I am replacing the PCV as it looks pretty gummed up.  Thanks for all the advice.

If the CEL is on first thing to do is pull the code!  Try Autozone or some other parts chain store--they'll often do it free.  Then post the code number (the actual number, not a verbal description) here.  That will give us something to work from.

^^^^ this! Codes first!