Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 legacy rear shocks.

The LH rear shock absorber on my 1999 Legacy Estate ( Wagon) needs changing.

There seem to be at least two different types listed for my car.

20362A, 20363A, and 20364A. What is the difference?

My car has standard suspension.

Also, the rear brake flexible hose goes through a bracket welded to the shock.

I can't see any hexagons or flats on the metal parts of the hose, so how do you get them off the bracket?

Thanks

Yewman

is your 99 the same as US 99's?  i would think it is because later models have a completely different set up anyway and there's no bracket on the strut...

i just did two of these this year and it didn't require disconnecting any brake lines.  i forget off the top of my head but is it just a bolt that holds the brake hose to the bracket?

on older generation subaru's where the hose did pass through a fixed/welded bracket, everyone would simply:

1. remove the clip holding it in place

2. cut a small notch in the shortest distance of the bracket

3.  bend it out of the way

4.  swap struts

5.  install the same way and bend the "tab" from the cut back in place so you can install the clip that holds the brake line.

but i don't recall doing that to the two legacy rears i did this year (a 1996 and 1999)

• Like 1

Dunno about the differences between the parts, but there are three styles. One for a FWD, one for AWD, and one for the Outback, and they are all different. Check the part listings carefully.

For the brake line, there is a metal clip that slides onto the hose and secures it to the bracket on the strut. Loosen and remove the flare line then use a screwdriver or pliers to pry the clip off. The hose will then slide out of the bracket.

You can cut the bracket and bend it out of the way, but chances are its time for the brake fluid to be replaced anyway, and this is the perfect time to put fresh new fluid in the system.

I didn't see any clip when I had the wheel off yesterday. I'll have to check again.

I now know the basic difference between the two shocks listed for the legacy estate AWD.

One has a 22mm piston rod, and the other is 25mm, which is easy to check. Mine is 22mm.

Thanks for the replies

Yewman

Remove the clip, then Cut a notch in the tab.  It can be ugly, bend it, get the line out.

NOW, for installing the new strut.....you want to cut a clean notch, just wide enough for the line to fit through.  Don't bend anything.  DO it cleanly and the clip will slide back in and hold the brake line just like "normal"

You can also unbolt the hose from the caliper, and slide it though the tab.  This is how they are assembled factory.  But will require refilling and bleeding the brakelines after.  I do it the other way, because I don't want to mess with brakes just to do struts.

Shocks you need are KYB 335020 and 335021

Edited by Gloyale

Just finished fitting the new shock. Both old and new had a closed bracket for the hose to pass through.

The procedure described by Gloyale was used to fit the new unit.

I have the service history for this car before I owned it, and I think I have just replaced the original shock absorber.

Not bad after 175,000 miles.

Tyre wear was perfectly even accross the tread , no signs of patchy wear, associated with worn shocks.

It leaked, so it was replaced.

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards

Yewman

Hello Rooster,

The new parts were KYB Excel g. I am in the UK, but have seen ads for USA.

Price varies a lot for the same item. It pays to shop around.

Mine eventually came off Ebay, after a bit of searching elsewhere.

Cheers

Yewman

Thanks for posting the KYBs you put on your 99. I have installed KYBs on other cars in the past, and have been very satisfyed with the results, at a good price.