Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cost of subaru maintenance

Hi guys, Im looking into buying a 2012 subaru impreza 2.0i premium. I am wondering the cost of maintenance compared to other car companies like toyota, honda etc? I have heard subaru parts are more expensive and wanted to know if this was true, I figured the experts on a subaru forum would know. Thanks guys, look forward to the replies.

Subaru's dont have a tendency to die easily.  Keep your fluids changed and up to level, and you'll enjoy that car for a few hundred thousand miles.  Oh, and stuff like oil and trans fluid (automatic) change them
according to the way you drive.  If you drive hard all the time your
gonna wanna change fluids early.  3000 miles for engine oil and 20000
miles for trans if you drive hard all the time.  You can go 4k to 4500
miles on an oil change if your nice to the car all the time, and 30 to
40 thousand miles on trans fluid.  And coolant coolant coolant.  gotta watch that stuff on these cars.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

Subarus are entirely comparable to those other cars you mention, both in terms of cost of maintenance/repairs and in terms of how often they need repairs. You can always find some parts that are more expensive than other cars and some that are less. But how that affects actual costs is how commonly the parts in question fail or need replacing. 

You cant really just say "toyota" "honda" etc, without giving a model. Some models are cheap to maintain, some are more expensive. Subaru line generally speaking are on par with the others, keeping in mind that the more often you do maintenance, the longer the car will last.

The 2.0L has a timing chain, so you have a longer maint interval than other cars with a belt. The oil usage will get you tho. My moms burns 1qt/1,200 miles give or take. Subaru spec, makes it 'ok' to burn over a gallon of oil between 7,500 mile oil changes. She has her oil changed at 5k intervals by the dealer who uses their 0W20 spec because the car calls for it. 5W20 would burn much less

The 2.0L has a timing chain, so you have a longer maint interval than other cars with a belt. The oil usage will get you tho. My moms burns 1qt/1,200 miles give or take. Subaru spec, makes it 'ok' to burn over a gallon of oil between 7,500 mile oil changes. She has her oil changed at 5k intervals by the dealer who uses their 0W20 spec because the car calls for it. 5W20 would burn much less

In all fairness, all dealerships will say the same thing if they wanted to avoid the issue. The spec that used to stand (and i looked all over teh SAE spec books and can't find it) is down to 600 miles is acceptable, It does depend upon the dealer, who your reginal rep is, and how much you push/shmooze/cajole subaru. Typical i usually 1qt every 5 k or less, as some of the oil vaporizes as it is used for cooling the piston skirts. Your consumption is high and unusual, maybe start a new thread and see if there is anything we can do about it to help you out?

It's been checked, checked again and again. Actually the dealer is tired of seeing the car.. Spec from Subaru is 1,200 miles ( called SOA ), and any time they have done their tracking tests, it passes with a few miles to spare.. From what I have learned, the 2.0L's just use oil. SOA has even been called on the issue and they say it is what it is. I have several references to other cars using the same amounts

Edited by matt167