Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Little bump in the rump, EA82 shock mod

Gloyale

So recently I replaced the factory adjustables on my 86 EA82 wagon.  I had the old adjustables cranked to the high setting to help clear my 215/70/15 tires.

The new shocks had a spring perch that sat a bit lower, (3/4 in.) on the shock than were it was in the high position with the adjustables.

So hears what I did to mimic the extra preload/height of the old ones using the new shocks.

I did need a pair of old spring perches from another non-adustable EA82 shock set.  lucky for me I've got tons of suba-spoob everywhere.

here's the pics, pretty self explainitory

New perch knocked off the new strut.

IMG_0186_zps254f7ae9.jpg

Flipped over and slid back on

IMG_0187_zps31eadd1c.jpg

Old set of perches slid on "correct" way to make lip to hold the spring

IMG_0188_zps8c2a65b7.jpg

Finished, spring perch raised about 3/4 inch from factory setting.

IMG_0189_zps108cb22d.jpg

Note this mod takes away a tiny bit of the "uptravel" of the shock.  About 1/2 inch.  Which for me is fine since I don't want the tire to be able to "stuff" too far into the wheel well and rub.

• Like 2

Yeah, I surely am not the first to have this idea, or have done something similar.  Covergent evolution and what not.....I digress.

I've actually done several this way before, just thought I'd finally take some pictures.  Sorry half of them are upside down, and out of focus.

Just trying to document all the little tricks and tips every subaru nut should know about the old school.  I figure the more little tips are out there, the more the desire and ability of people to keep them around.

• Like 1