Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I drive a 1998 Subaru Legacy Postal station wagon with well over 160,000 miles - odometer quit working. I deliver mail from this vehicle, and have had to replace the fuel pump about every other year. What would cause the fuel pump to go bad so often? The car still sputters, once in a while, when I accelerate.

Another problem I have - don't know if it is related - is after I put gas in the car, it will not start the first time I turn the key. The second time I turn the key it starts, but idles very low, and eventually reaches the correct idle speed. Any ideas what causes this problem?  :(

You need to get the speedo working again, as the ECU goes into a minor "limp" mode.  I'm not saying that is causing the fuel pump to go out, but can cause drivability issues.

The common failure point on the auto trans cars is the base pieces that screws into the trans.  They are pretty easy and cheap to replace (assuming the 98 has a cable driven speedo...)  Here's a pic of the base piece.

www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/speedocablebase.jpg

replace the fuel filter, maybe it's clogged and putting too much strain on the pump.

i'd look for low mileage used pumps before going with aftermarkets, they aren't known for being robust and lasting a long time like the subaru ones and new Subaru pumps are insanely expensive.

i would doubt the VSS is the cause.

Did you remove the connector and check for corrosion or loose connection?

Did you check voltage on the ground side to check for poor ground?

As was said before, parts store fuel pumps are crap, but a loose connection will cause the pump to pull higher amps than normal. Higher amp draw will cause it to burn out early.

• 1 month later...

Well, another cheap fuel pump bit the dust - lasted 1 month. Could the fuel pressure regulator cause the fuel pump to go bad. The car does good at idle, but when I give it some gas it starts to sputter then drives fine for awhile, then sputters when I step on the gas on the highway - or is it the cheap fuel pump?

did you replace the fuel filter? 

doubt a fuel pressure regulator could affect the pump.

aftermarket pumps are not that stellar...i'd get a used low mileage OEM unit, they easily make 200,000 miles and are more reliable than an aftermarket probably.

www.car-part.com

if it's sputtering - check the fuel pressure at the engine...that will ***immediately*** tell you if it's fuel delivery related or not.  would be nice to know after all this time/work.

Edited by grossgary

Well, another cheap fuel pump bit the dust - lasted 1 month. Could the fuel pressure regulator cause the fuel pump to go bad. The car does good at idle, but when I give it some gas it starts to sputter then drives fine for awhile, then sputters when I step on the gas on the highway - or is it the cheap fuel pump?

It is obviously not the pumps.

Regulator COULD hold the pressure too high increasing pump workload,but ,it is not that.

The fuel strainer in the tank is restricted and/or the pumps are sucking dirt.

Had a forester with a water bubble hanging around the pump screen made a nice pocket around the pu screen and whould not let feul into pump. '" it keeps surging but gets better when i turn " the pocket that pump sits in if crap gets in is very hard for it to get out. Try somthing simple like a bottle of gasline anti freeze

Had a forester with a water bubble hanging around the pump screen made a nice pocket around the pu screen and whould not let feul into pump. '" it keeps surging but gets better when i turn " the pocket that pump sits in if crap gets in is very hard for it to get out. Try somthing simple like a bottle of gasline anti freeze

Not long ago, I got some bad gas that had water in it. Not a lot, but enough to affect driveability. Instead of using dry gas, I added a gallon of E-85 to a full tank of gas. The alcohol in the E-85 did a great job of fixing the problem. I think galline anti-freeze is contains mostly alcohol. So, I thought the E-85 would work.