Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New whine after having trans apart, normal?

I've had 2 other transmissions apart before this one, a 2wd Impreza trans and a 2wd GL trans, same as this one basically. I had it apart to replace the input shaft seal and after filling it up with fluid, getting the motor in and everything ready to go I fired it up and took it for a ride I noticed it was shifting hard and noticed with my hand on the shifter I could feel a high vibration that wasn't there before. I didn't have this experience with the other 2 transmissions I've had apart, they were pretty smooth afterwards. Do I have anything to worry about? Will the whine eventually go away and the shifting smooth out? I adjusted my clutch cable until it grabs towards the top of the clutch movement so I know for sure it's completely disengaging the clutch. For what it's worth, this is the original thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/140724-input-shaft-seal-84-dl-what-else-while-its-apart/

Thanks for any input.

tap the pin out and rotate the shaft 180 degrees to see if it lines up better. I just got done with 2 new front axles , there is a slight difference in thread count between each hemisphere that the pin holes divide.  I would double check that. might as well put new pins in while your down there if the originals are mushroomed in the slightest from hammering them. I dont know if it would damage bearings but I would think you would need to be near thor strength to break or bend the bearings