Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Spark

Dinky26

EA81 86 Brat w/4 speed.

I recently replaced my Hitachi carb with a Weber, once I get her running it is Awesome. Getting to that point seems to be a slight struggle.

I had my mechanic replace bushings and other pieces on the front end. He seems to think that there is no spark while cranking the starter, then once I let off the starter it proceeds to give spark and fire off.

He freely admits he doesn't know a lot about the Soobs, but thinks it may be the ignition or something else. I'm starting to think it may be the worn ignition, a few months back I noticed while going down the road I had no radio, fan, or cigarette lighter power. Figured out that the key was not returning back to the run position, thus not allowing power to the aforementioned things.

So my question is could this worn ignition cause me lack of spark too, or is this the wrong thing to consider?

It sounds like you are on the right track. Some folks have had similar problems like this and it does sound like the ignition switch is at fault here. Check to see if voltage is getting to the plus side of the ignition coil while you are in the START mode. If you don't have voltage in that mode and do in the RUN mode then the switch has a problem. It sounds like the ACC position has a problem also since you stated other things aren't working also. The problem may be the switch contacts are just not aligning correctly.

So I pulled the ignition apart tonight. Stuck a flat head in the switch part and turned it and it fired right off. Put it back together and it seems to be starting fairly consistently right so far. Looking at the bottom of the lock I'm thinking the lock part really needs changed, will try to include picture.