Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you're loading up with gear and people on a regular basis I'd go with the Outback. It's the most occupant room, the biggest cargo area, and has good ground clearance for snow and minor off-road. Outback is also low enough that you can put bikes on the roof fairly easily (much easier than putting them on the roof of a Cherokee).

Hatch clearance for a hitch mount cargo carrier I wouldn't think should be an issue. The hitch will be roughly the same distance below the hatch as it is on the Cherokee.

That's what I was thinking, since I was used to my jeep with capacity I figured that was the most comparable to what I have. and there are times that I do pack it full, and times when I don't. 

I have driven a couple of 2003-2005 outbacks and ..are there also people that noticed the whistling by the drivers side door?

Was it on all outbacks of that model years or was it just of the ones that I drove or could it have been the roof racks (I've had that before) or what? Because that was a turn off especially as I was looking to purchase that or my jeep (which I did, obviously, end up purchasing)

Would you think that the 4 cyl would be alright, or do you guys think that I should go with the 6 cyl?

Is the 6 cyl a straight 6?

Edited by bultmajd

a coupla points, 6 cylinder (horizontal 'boxer' config.) is only gonna be coupled to an automatic tranny. 4 cyl 2.5 boxer is available with auto or 5 spd.

what is the weight/power ratio in your Jeep?

as an example for the Outback;

2007 3.0 H6 makes 243hp, weighs 3610 - 14.8 lbs/hp

2007 2.5 H4 makes 175hp weighs ~ 3400 - 19.4 lbs/hp

I'd avoid the H4 if it's much higher than your Jeeps ratio. If it's close, then thorough test driving would definitely be helpful just to determine if the 'feel' of it will be acceptable. Just differences in how/when the torque peak comes in and how a car handles turns and braking can make a big difference even if their power/weight ratios are similar.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The 6s are flat (horizontally opposed) just like the 4s. 3 cylinders on each half, pointing away from each other.

The 6 does pack more punch than the 4 but at the expense of fuel mileage. Unless you need to tow something the 4 should do fine, assuming you don't overload the car with cargo and passengers.

Wind noise from the doors is a Subaru trait because of the frameless window design. The 2008 Impreza was the first Subaru with framed windows since the SVX which ended production in '96. Before that I think the frameless window went all the way back to the '70s.

The wind noise can be fixed by replacing the gusset seal (the triangle in the corner), but that only lasts a couple years and it will start whistling again.

In 2010 the Outback got framed windows, thus, no more wind noise.

a coupla points, 6 cylinder (horizontal 'boxer' config.) is only gonna be coupled to an automatic tranny. 4 cyl 2.5 boxer is available with auto or 5 spd.

what is the weight/power ratio in your Jeep?

as an example for the Outback;

2007 3.0 H6 makes 243hp, weighs 3610 - 14.8 lbs/hp

2007 2.5 H4 makes 175hp weighs ~ 3400 - 19.4 lbs/hp

I'd avoid the H4 if it's much higher than your Jeeps ratio. If it's close, then thorough test driving would definitely be helpful just to determine if the 'feel' of it will be acceptable. Just differences in how/when the torque peak comes in and how a car handles turns and braking can make a big difference even if their power/weight ratios are similar.

well....

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4.0 makes 195 hp, weighs 3968 --- 20.3 lbs/hp

so yea haha

The 6s are flat (horizontally opposed) just like the 4s. 3 cylinders on each half, pointing away from each other.

The 6 does pack more punch than the 4 but at the expense of fuel mileage. Unless you need to tow something the 4 should do fine, assuming you don't overload the car with cargo and passengers.

Wind noise from the doors is a Subaru trait because of the frameless window design. The 2008 Impreza was the first Subaru with framed windows since the SVX which ended production in '96. Before that I think the frameless window went all the way back to the '70s.

The wind noise can be fixed by replacing the gusset seal (the triangle in the corner), but that only lasts a couple years and it will start whistling again.

In 2010 the Outback got framed windows, thus, no more wind noise.

Ahhh alright, well does the noise differ from model to model, year to year and car to car? Because I did notice a difference between the models that I drove.

Edited by bultmajd

Noise may differ between models slightly but the biggest contributor is how old and how worn or damaged the gusset seal is.

My car makes a hell of a racket because the seal has about a 3/4" long split down the side. I put some electrical tape on it and its better but not perfect.

Some may not be split but the two halves (inner and outer) eventually work away from the window glass and leave a very small gap between the felt and the glass, usually only in the very top corner of the seal.

Some people have bent the top corner of the seal (there's a metal support inside the rubber) and that works for a few weeks or months then the noise comes right back.

Real Subaru lovers don't mind it, everyone else just turns up the radio. :D