Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legoback 4eat dirt clod noise turned to TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION GRIND!

so I had lots of fun in our dirt field and got enough dirt clods stuck in my heat shield to cause high pitched whining and grinding noise. after getting it home and putting it on jack stands we found the problem. I cleared the clods and started it back up everything was cool until a friend put it in park without hitting the brakes.... so after shutting it off and restarting applying a small amount of throttle causes A TERRIBLE JOLTING/GRINDING/POPPING of the transmission seems to be coming from the 4eat tail housing. hoping its a easily fixable pawl issue, who knows will post picks tomorrow... 

I'm relatively familiar with the parking pawl and the drive driving hubs so if there is catastrophic failure of hard parts this might turn into a "thats why you don't do that ever" topic

rofl no its not torque bind as if it were in the general sense,  duty c solenoid and clutch packs were replaced not to long ago if you want a good laugh and a long read then search for a "no awd" thread I posted way back when I paid a shop to fix that stuff and they made it way worse. fixed it myself after they mucked it, applied knowledge PRICELESS!!!

rofl no its not torque bind as if it were in the general sense,  duty c solenoid and clutch packs were replaced not to long ago if you want a good laugh and a long read then search for a "no awd" thread I posted way back when I paid a shop to fix that stuff and they made it way worse. fixed it myself after they mucked it, applied knowledge PRICELESS!!!

He is not suggesting it is torque bind at all. He's saying you will find the pictures you are looking for by searching torque bind.

oh lol I gotcha as if I had never done that service before, plenty of experiance with tail section ( shakes head while holding it with hand)

sooooo parking prawl poped out at me reinstalled after inspecting hard parts everything was fine, got a little freaked out when the at temp light started flashing at me but after shifting through gears and a few starts no more flashing and no tcu codes. I took the extra day to get the factory gasket, having a major atf pathway an inch from the lip of the case no way in hell I'm going to trust just rtv or gasket maker!