Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for advice on an 87 GL wagon

So new guy here I know plenty about subies but I found a 87 GL on Craigslist today for 350$ needs a battery and wheel bearing but runs otherwise hi/lo range manual trans 4wd etc so any advice my plan is to drive it and mod it till it dies or I find an outback to build and swap the tranny. What do you think?

Edited by outbackpacker3

Cool that's what I was thinking. They seem to be pretty reliable from what I've read so far, anything about the engine I should know I'm pretty knowledgeable with the ej's but do most of the same things apply to the ea81? I think that's what it has.

Also if I can get it is this anyones car

38575970001_large.jpg

if so I'd like to know about the roof basket and lift

Edited by outbackpacker3

It has an ea82 engine. Bonus for SPFI (single port fuel injection) so you don't have to deal with crappy carburetors. You may get an engine light for purge control or EGR solenoid, which is common, but does not affect performance or economy (only worry about it if your jurisdiction requires emissions test.

DO make sure to keep the cooling system in order. Replace the radiator if it is corroded and the fins are falling out. 

The only thing that really breaks is the timing belt. This can be avoided with routine service(replace the belts at 60,000 miles, replace the water pump) Change out any little hoses that could leak (the one between the thermostat housing and the top of the block. Use only subaru oem thermostat.

If the timing belt breaks, it is non-interference, so slap on a new one and go.

If you have to take the car apart for anything, watch these videos to see how easy it is:

there is a TON of info on here on making/buying/installing lifts for these cars. Run some searches and look at some builds in the off road and members ride sections and you'll get a grasp for the job. generally seems to be a weekend job for those new to it. Good day project after you've done one or two.

Rack looks like a custom job. Maybe store bought clamps and a custom rack. You can make pretty good racks out of an old futon frame or wire racks if you are, or know, a decent welder.

Not much difference between EA and EJ. If you can work on one, you can quickly learn another. EA tends to be simpler to me and the non-interference of the EA82 motor is a nice advantage over many of the EJ motors.

Highly unlikely that you'll ever regret buying a $350. Subaru. Go get it and come back with some pics! :headbang:

That's what I hope to do I'm a newer driver so having a good winter car will be nice gotta love that AWD or in this case 4WD! thanks for the tip I've never heard about using a futon frame before. so then MPFI would be multi port fuel injection right? ill have to check that when I go see the car

Edited by outbackpacker3

IMO these are superior to ejs  (ea82 sohc) because of their simplicity (ie no sensors/ecu to fail, management systems on and more complex fuel/ignition systems - more to go wrong on ej engines)  so easier / cheaper to fix  ea82 when  there's a problem.

The ej engines were developed from/on the success of  the ea82 engine. 

Reasons for EA82; with  carburetter (better-simpler) + pointless electronic distributor  . have owned  2 of these never had any fuel / ignition issues with them apart from a carb kit in one in 15 years of ownership.   NOTE  If change fuel/air filters at required intervals carb shouldn't/don't  gunk up!

Also a non interferance engine so if you break one of the 2 cam belts its not the end of the world , just inconvennient.

The important thing is regular oil changes and  cooling system flushing as with all subaru boxer engines, otherwise h/gasket leak  issues, scaled up heater core/ radiator, overheating, cracked heads/blown head gaskets..

Reasons against EA82 :There are limitations to modifying for power increases because of single port head design.so best left in standard form. 

Edited by subnz

• 2 weeks later...