Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 to ej25 engine swap and exhaust manifolds

I think you got that backwards. It would have to be the one ej25 that has a single port. the 97 and later ej22 has the single port. My 95 has dual ports and is the original engine. the ej25d has dual ports. That 97 outback would have an ej25d. Also, i recently serviced an 03 legacy 2.5 (phase2) which also had the dual port. 

I think what you meant is the 97 with a 2.2 would have the single port.

You're done - the EJ25 exhaust manifold bolts right up to a 1995 EJ22. Just as I said the first time - 95 is the only (plug and play) year EJ22 that has dual port exhaust like all EJ25's.

If you want to check, count the numbers of huge holes on the bottom of the heads:

Two = dual

One = single

You don't need to tell if either is dual port, I already told you they both are (if your years are correct):

All Ej25's are dual port and all 1995 EJ22's are dual port.

DOHC and SOHC doesn't matter in regards to 95-98 EJ swaps.  ignore it.  they're plug and play to swap, regardless of cams.  there's only two triggers - one crank and one cam sprocket - and they're the same on each engine (DOHC or SOHC) - the one (or 3) other sprockets aren't "seen" or used by the ECU at all so it's not relevant to swapping these engines.

I think you got that backwards. It would have to be the one ej25 that has a single port.\

i got it right, i just wrote it goofy.  there is only one EJ22 that an EJ25 exhaust manifold will bolt up too...or i should say, if one needs to make a more general statement than to the original posters questions - "there's only one plug-and-play EJ22 that an EJ25 exhaust will bolt up to - a 1995 EJ22 which has dual port exhausts."

Edited by grossgary

Ok, thanks.  I got the engine in and am swapping what parts I can from the ej25.  Switched the throttle body and several hoses that were rotten on the ej22.  When I went to drained the old oil out of the ej22  I found that the threads on the pan for the drain plug were stripped.  The question is, can I swap the pan and oil stick tube between the engines?  Or is there a way to fix the M20 thread on the existing ej22 pan?

Kevin

you can swap the pans. clean them up and RTV them.

you may be able to chase the threads with a tap.

you may be able to drill them out and repair them with a helicoil.

they make oversized drain plugs to fit in situations like this - i've never done it, you could probably google it and find people that have done it or say not too in a matter of seconds.

seems simpler to just swap the oil pan and be done with it and have the pan freshly sealed up too.

the down side is that with the engine already in the vehicle though you do have to undo the two lower engine mount nuts (14mm) and jack the engine up a few inches to gain clearance for the sump to snake out of the baffles inside the pan.

i have a rusty pan to swap - let me know how long it takes you i've been putting it off too long!

Thanks guys,

After looking at your suggestions I may try to use a rubber plug that twists down the first time until I make certain this engine is solid.  I hate to put in a lot of work until I hear it run.  I appreciate you help on this.  This is my first engine swap and I do not want to take it out twice to get it right.  

Kevin