Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Subaru GL-10.

Capcom

Hi there! I've always loved Subaru's and always wanted a GL-10 since I discovered them in my young teen years. When I started attending school I finally needed a car to get back and forth and came accross a GL-10 on Craigslist. The car was from the original owner who had purchased it in '86 fresh off the lot! My dreams came true when I was the fifth person in line to see the car and everyone had passed on it before me, I almost cried when I went to see the car and was lucky enough to have an amazing brother who would front me the $1,500 that I needed for the little wagon! Anywho, I look forward to talking to all you people and would be happy to answer any questions about my car to the best of my knowledge!

post-49630-0-87760700-1379990476_thumb.jpg

post-49630-0-59648900-1379990499_thumb.jpg

post-49630-0-60424100-1379990517_thumb.jpg

post-49630-0-38926100-1379990534_thumb.jpg

Let me know when you are ready to part it out.

Wow dude, let him/her enjoy the cloud before you pop it man lol

The whole reason behind all of that is because the motor in there (if it's original) is a turbocharged EA82 (EA82T)

They are good, reliable engines so long as you keep it stock and you make sure it never, ever over-heats. If it does over-heat it is very prone to head-gasket failure.

So my advice to you would be to go through every component of the cooling system and make sure it is in good shape. Put new radiator hoses, flush the coolant out and add new coolant, put a new water-pump in there, put a new thermostat and make sure the heater core isn't clogged. Keep that cooling system happy and you'll keep the engine happy and you'll never have any of the catastrophic failures that are common to these motors.

Also, it looks like it's in great shape! Get us some shots of the interior and the engine bay!

Wow dude, let him/her enjoy the cloud before you pop it man lol

The whole reason behind all of that is because the motor in there (if it's original) is a turbocharged EA82 (EA82T)

They are good, reliable engines so long as you keep it stock and you make sure it never, ever over-heats. If it does over-heat it is very prone to head-gasket failure.

So my advice to you would be to go through every component of the cooling system and make sure it is in good shape. Put new radiator hoses, flush the coolant out and add new coolant, put a new water-pump in there, put a new thermostat and make sure the heater core isn't clogged. Keep that cooling system happy and you'll keep the engine happy and you'll never have any of the catastrophic failures that are common to these motors.

Also, it looks like it's in great shape! Get us some shots of the interior and the engine bay!

+1  totally agree

86 Gl-10 turbos are high maintenance as they require some fiddling every couple thousand miles, for one thing or another. Subaru shops are trying to get them off the road so they will make it as expensive as possible, to fix it. It is not a car for somebody who has not owned a Subaru Gl/DL/Loyales, because you have to do all of the maintenance yourself, if you want to keep it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread but that sexy GL-10 and Audi A4 caught my attention. Welcome to the best car combo you can have. I myself have an 85 GL wagon with dual range 4WD and a 2001 Audi A6 all wheel drive wagon and they are unstoppable together. Cheers to 4x4 wagons :)

86 Gl-10 turbos are high maintenance as they require some fiddling every couple thousand miles, for one thing or another. Subaru shops are trying to get them off the road so they will make it as expensive as possible, to fix it. It is not a car for somebody who has not owned a Subaru Gl/DL/Loyales, because you have to do all of the maintenance yourself, if you want to keep it.

yes agreed. it takes a special kind of person to work on these beautiful Subarus. Someone with patience and a willingness to learn and memorize every curse word in the alphabet :P. I myself have learned a lot with my 85 GL wagon from wrenching to cursing lol. Here at my place we got a set of curse words for each of my cars (The Subaru and the Audi) lol :P

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry I've been so neglective of this post, work and school have had me busy for months. I'll try to get some pictures up soon of engine bay and stuff after I clean her up, Winter's been very hard on this baby. I had to replace the water pump two weeks ago but everything went smooth any she's back on the road!

Thank you guys for your support against the people who hate my car, haha!

Looks like a runner :clap: How many miles on that clean machine?

Thank you! Well, there's kind of a guessing game when it comes to the miles. The woman who previously owned it got it up to 220k on the first motor before the odometer stopped, then drove it for a couple more years before throwing in a crate EA82T. The odometer started working again a few weeks after I bought the car. I'm guessing there's about 180k on the new motor and probably over 300k on the car itself.

• Like 1